Author Topic: Adding a Cheekpiece  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Adding a Cheekpiece
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:46:26 AM »
In another thread I was asked about the cheekpiece I added to a CVA Kentucky that I'm working over.  

You will need a piece of scrap the same kind of wood as the stock, with suitable grain direction and pattern.  (Thanks again 'bgf' for the scrap chair leg!)

First I cut the chair leg down to a block the rough size and shape of a cheekpiece.  On the back side of the block, the side that will be glued to the stock, I used a shallow sweep gouge to contour the surface.  Whittle, fit, whittle, fit, repeat until it's a pretty close fit.  Place the block in location on the stock and trace around it with a pencil.  Add some pencil lines extending the top, bottom and side lines out from the outline for reference.

Now find some old style carbon paper.  Fabric stores still sell it for pattern transfer.  Cut a piece a little larger than the cheekpiece block and place it on the stock, carbon-side.  Tape or hold the carbon paper in place.  Using the extended reference lines, place the block in place on the stock and carbon paper.  Rub the block back and forth very slightly and the carbon will transfer to the high spots.  Replace the carbon paper as needed.  Use a shallow gouge to remove the high spots marked on the block.  Repeat until you have as much carbon transfer as possible, especially right at the edge of the block, all the way around.  This will insure the smallest gap in the inevitable glue-lines.

I can't tell you how this story turns out.  I took the pictures above last night, so stain and finish is a ways off.  I do think I'm going to add a star inlay to cover a bit of the upper glue line.  I will post updates in the future...  If it ever warms up enough to work out in the unheated garage.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:50:38 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online T*O*F

Re: Adding a Cheekpiece
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:01 AM »
Instead of fitting the cheekpiece to the stock profile, wouldn't it have been easier to just inlay and glue the block directly into the stock?  Then it's not just sitting flush on the stock and you could also blend it into the stock and not have a prominent glue line.  Inlaying always wins over surface mounting.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:58:11 AM »
Dave,  I thought about that, but with the surface mount I figured if I didn't like the result, I could just rasp it all off.  

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:44:45 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline bjmac

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »
Thanks for that response, sir. I'm going to give it a try. I plan to ebonize this project and do all of the metal work in german silver or perhaps aluminum.

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 05:38:46 AM »
I did it similarly, but not as well as Ron, although I scooped out the top of the cheekpiece a little more.

The glue line isn't that big a deal, and a little tinted varnish will cover a lot of sins, though not as many as I committed on this one :).

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:40:43 AM »
Great idea, Ron. Thanks for sharing with us. Take care ... Bill

grouchy

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »
Looks good keep us posted!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
Ron,

Perhaps you might want to consider a painted finish to obscure the pieced on cheek piece.  Jack Brooks made a rifle with a faux burl painted finish and it looked really cool.  I believe the idea was taken from an original.  I'm thinking this might have been a Bonewitz rifle, but I'm not sure.

Jim