Author Topic: need advice on a barrel in the white  (Read 2826 times)

imray

need advice on a barrel in the white
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Hi, it been near 40 years since I've blued a barrel, and I have a new cheap  CVA n the white coming. I would like your thoughts and perhaps guidance on finding the proper information to either blue or brown this new barrel. Since CVA quit making sidelock arms I won't buy anything from them anymore but I do have an old St. Louis Hawken of theirs and can't take it apart as it is said they will never go back right. Probably cheaper to get the new barrel anyway. With the new barrel in the white on its way I guess I ought to blue it since that will match the other parts that will have to be removed and put on the new one. I was hoping there would be some free info on the forum, or online.
  where is a fine place of instruction for a process using todays products for bluing I suppose?, best wishes, ray

Offline Dave B

Re: need advice on a barrel in the white
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:55:51 AM »
I am sure if you did a search on the archives you would find some information that will be helpful. The tutorials some times have very helpful information as well.
I did a brief search in the archives and found this discussion on rust bluiing and the other is on Lock Browning but the process will work for a barrel just as easily.

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=5683.0

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=6871.0
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:07:29 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

imray

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
hey, thanks I can handle that, best wishes, ray

imray

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Hey, if anyone else needs info, I found some really simple and explanatory videos on the viral sites, that told me all I need to know. except for the actual doing of it myself, best wishes, ray