Author Topic: Has anyone ever customized a Japanese Tower Pistol?  (Read 8429 times)

Newburghboy

Has anyone ever customized a Japanese Tower Pistol?
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:21:57 AM »
Hi to all,

I was wondering if anybody has ever customized one of those early Japanese import "Tower" pistols? They always seemed quite ugly and clunky-looking to me, but also seemed to be begging for some creative modification--  Any projects out there old or new? If so Id love to see your pics. Thanks much..Mike

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Has anyone ever customized a Japanese Tower Pistol?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
  I have one. I thought I was going to slim it up and refine it a little, but found that on mine there isn't enough wood between the RR hole and the bottom of the stock to slim very much at all. I am thinking that one could cut the RR channel deeper and wider forward of the entrance hole, then go into the barrel channel and open the RR hole to fit a wood RR. This would allow slimming the fore stock area, but the thimbles would have to be drilled out larger too, or even replaced. I don't know if it's worth the effort. It would be a real challenge.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
I bought on eof the CVA "Colonial" pistols with a 7" barrel as I thought making a pistol for my uses would be a little more than I like.  One of the things that will require a little creativity in making it more like I wanted is the fact that the ramrod channel was routerd out and deeper than I like.  I was going to halfstock it and put on a cut off rib I have laying around and install a thinble and wood rod.  Some of the Tower pistols had locks that require a bit of fiddling to get working.  To be fair I ahd one taht sparked better than some of the "custom" locks.  I sold it to an individual that thought they would be gret for shooting grouse out of a car window.  They are not.

DP

Offline bgf

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:09:02 AM »
I picked up a caplock Traditions Kentucky pistol kit cheap and practiced all sorts of stuff on it.  Worst case, the lock fits my K. rifle.  For me, it is the perfect pistol, since I am not a pistol shooter by any means; it will knock over a can of water at 10 yards like nobody's business.  However, this type of fun only makes sense if you find something cheap and it works well enough for what you want -- I would be suspicious of a low-end flint lock, for example.  If you shop carefully, you should be able to pick up high-quality (not necessarily high end) parts for a pistol build relatively inexpensively over a short time, and end up with a better product.  All you really need to buy is the barrel and lock (and possibly inlet stock blank [cheap for pistols] and set triggers, if desired); you can make the rest out of sheet (brass or iron, or whatever) or buy suitable castings.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:15:07 AM »
The last one of these I built was from a kit bought from Dixie in 1971 for $12.95 (on sale).  I was in the  Navy in Hawaii.  We built the gun in the ordinance shop of VP-6.  Dixie advertised it as not sparking, but sent a little bag of casenit along free.  We took it up on a mountain in the middle of Oahu and shot it.  Must have sold it afterwards as I don't remember what happened to it.  If I remember correctly it had a Mahogany stock.

We used to have lots of fun with "junk".  I kind of got back into muzzle loading looking for one of those after seeing some at a gun show.  (I didn't buy one as the kits were $100 and I thought that was too high.)  I eventually bought a Harper's Ferry pistol kit for considerably more, but that was all  it took to get back into the hobby.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
   You've given me a spark of ambition. I may have to take another long hard look at my old Jap Tower. It was my first ML back in 1970. $30.00 from DGW, + $5.00 if you wanted it to spark. I gave them the extra $5.00.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
I have made some modifications to the Kits or assembled pistols that are available. Here is one of the pistols I salvaged from a yard sale. Its the old Philadelphia Derringer by CVA. I really slimed it down and tapered the barrel.  The pre routed groove for the under lug was so deep in the barrel channel that I ended up having to inlay a piece of ebony to fill in the void. The large gap at the front of the trigger guard I filled by the addition of the acorn finial. I took this with me to the Carving class taught by John Bivins in 97 as a side project to carve, and his comment was." Isn't that trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?"

Dave Blaisdell

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
Dave
In modeling we call that kitbashing. Great job. What I love about these projects is all the practice one gets for a small price. The great little gems that you get are often a great source of satisfaction. Anyone who hasn't tried this is really missing a bet.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
The pistol cost me 15 bucks and I had a b last doing the work. I have used it as you can see for engraving practice as well as wire inlay, in both metal and wood. When funds are low you have to find away to express your need to make something that will go bang. It also serves to keep out of trouble mostly
Dave Blaisdell

Trkdriver99

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:10:11 PM »
Well I like your "little silkpurse". That shows skill.

Ronnie

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:51 AM »
Wow, Dave, just think what you would have done if you had the whole pig instead of just an ear. ;D

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

gregg

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:40 AM »

This is the best I have been able to do? ???They are a brick.
I will try to get more pictures.

gregg

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
Picture 2

gregg

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
Picture 3 Even cut the bolt thinner to get the barrel lower in the stock.

gregg

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Picture 4 Lugs as thin as I think I could go and hope to hit with a drill bit??

gregg

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
BTW Love the CVA that is now a true SILK PURSE pistol.
I hope to get the Tower done this winter we will just have to wait and see?
I am at my wits end and abillity to thin this pistol any more. Now just a even things
up and finish it .