Author Topic: Why does 5 minute epoxy take 20 minutes and other ramblings.  (Read 3662 times)

Kentucky Jeff

Why does 5 minute epoxy take 20 minutes and other ramblings.
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:16 PM »
I'm getting ready for the engraving class at Conner Prairie and I'm gluing some brass sheet to some oak block.  I buy 5 minute epoxy and 15 minutes later its still goopy.  I read the back of the box and it says it takes 20 minutes before you can touch it...  Uggghhh 

I'm doubly frustrated b/c I bought a brass doorkick to use as practice material and I get home and cut into it and find its plated aluminum...  Uggghhhh

Fortunately I was at the barn this morning and they have a drawer full of brass name plates from horses that have long since gone off to the dog food factory.   So I scrounged some pretty thick solid brass from the dead horse files...  Hopefully nobody will show up with another horse named "Dufus" or "Zippy" any time soon and somebody says...hey I think there's a name plate around here somewhere! 

Sure is dry this fall.  My horse has lost 200 lbs from the sweet rich grass of spring. The girth cinched up 4 or 5 whole notches from where it was in May.  I rode the snot out of her yesterday for 3 and 1/2 hours too.  The hounds never caught the slightest whiff of scent either. 

Please don't tell me I should anneal this brass before I glue it down and engrave it. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:18:10 PM by Kentucky Jeff »

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Why does 5 minute epoxy take 20 minutes and other ramblings.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:16:35 PM »
Jeff,
I bet you'll enjoy the engraving class.  I'm just about to leave for Conner Prairie too.  I'm in the horn class.  I'll look you up.  I think there are a fair number of ALR fellows there as students as well as instructors.    Have a safe trip.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
When you mix it warm it with a hair drier.
Mix well but fast. Warming epoxy greatly reduces its set time.
I use JB Weld Quick. Some of the cheap stuff is pretty erratic.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:06 PM »
Warming can also thin epoxy so that it fills in better.  My wife and daughter keep telling me that my vocabulary degenerates when I use tools (actually I think I use the adjectives with proper application and inflection).  You can drag a cord on a power tool and it will catch on every thing.  Try to throw a cord and bring something to you.  Show your bird dog off to a friend and see what a knothead he can become.  I believe that the Irish blame all this on Leprechauns.

DP

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
First, all epoxies indicate the set-up time as to when it is set enough to be somewhat unchangeable. All require additional time to "cure."
A few tips for your note book! First, if you get too much hardener it will set up faster but be more brittle. More resin than specified, and it will set up slower and be rubbery; too much resin and it won't ever get real hard. Using a little too much semi-liquid color or stain will retard it as well, but it will finally set up. Using a heat gun or hair drier does work, does speed up the drying time and does make it get into crevices better, but it will make the epoxy a bit more brittle so use care here. Another tip that is critical; use the heat to warm up the part to release it from the epoxy. Use only enough heat to the part as you are pulling up on it for it to release and get the heat away immediately. I will warm up the brass and give it a couple seconds for it to translate, and it will usually release without distorting the epoxy.
The very best option for fast curing hold for any odd shaped part to be engraved is to use Bondo. Now that is the best I have found! ANd its a whole lot cheaper and you can still use heat to pop it lose!
Susie