Author Topic: Bedford barrels  (Read 3703 times)

roamer

Bedford barrels
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
An inquriy
Were Bedfords barrels,staight,tapered or swamped .Always appreciate your knowledge

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Bedford barrels
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Generally straight and heavy.

g rummell

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Straight, Straight, Straight.  ;D
Not all were heavy, I've found some pretty delegate and slim Bedford barrels out there.
No disrepect intended Bill.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:30:35 PM by G. Rummell »

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »
Historically speaking - 99.9% of original longrifle barrels of the " golden age" and later were either tapered or slightly swamped even though they do not seem that way to the naked eye.  :o  Sometimes one has to use a micrometer to detect the actual measurements.  Today the contemporary barrel makers accent the outside configuration, which is in demand for a lighter weight  barrel.  So don't be fooled by observing old originals from "any" school with the naked eye.         Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
Profiles of modern barrels may be acentuated when compared to golden age and later barrels (most of what everybody sees).  When compared to earlier barrels this may not be the case.  An exception would be modern barrels with small breaches such as "A" weight barrels with significant swamp.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
Jim: I totally agree with you!  I guess I did not make that point clear enough in my earlier post.  By "golden age" I meant post revolutionary war era - circa 1790 - 1820.   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

g rummell

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
I have had the opportunity to examine, take measurements, and rubbings from many fine originol Bedford County rifles and to date I have not found one with anything but a straight barrel. The only exeption that there was, was an early Peter White that he built while still in Maryland. No taper no swamp on the Bedfords, at least not the ones that I examined.  ;D