Author Topic: First gun  (Read 7220 times)

burnsranch

First gun
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »
This project has been on hold for a few years, but I am going to get it done this winter.
Been working off a couple of books and the Chambers video.  If you can let me know what else I need to do before staining I would appreciate the comments. I am limited on tools to some files, sandpaper and a good set of chisels. I will have to do a lot of practice before I do any carving.
Fire away, it will shoot.

Thanks
Russ

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: First gun
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
I hope my first build turns out that well.  Was it a kit or did you start from a blank?

Coryjoe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:52:37 AM »
The first impression is - great job!  One thing I'd do if it were mine, is I'd take wood off along the rod channel until I had a knife edge there.  There should not be any flats along the channel, or at least they should be very very narrow.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »
Take a risk and make a nice molding along the ramrod channel while you are following Taylor's advice.It will make your gun look more finished and period correct.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:34:20 AM »
I would follow Taylor and Paddlefoot's suggestions and if it were mine I would put a simple incised line on the bottom of the but stock running from the rear of the  trigger guard extension to the butplate.  If you have any questions on this see "Recreating the American Longrifle" or pm me and I will send pictures. 

Over all it's a great build just as is but these little tweaks will improve the appearance.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
    Good job and very smart of you to ask for help at this time in your project. If it was mine I would slim down the beaver tails a little behind the lock and sideplate. Your carving around the tang needs some details in it, looks to plain. Go to Home Depot get a maple board to practice carving on.    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
Yup, looks great. First off, I'm no expert so take all this with a grain of salt!

It is always hard to be sure what you are seeing in photos but here are the things I saw- RR groove looks a bit deep to me. I make it 1/3 of the dia of the RR. Make sure that the inletting of your thimbles is going to allow you to take down the edges without opening up any gaps. If you are not certain, then I'd leave it the way it is.

I'd also remove the flats next to the RR grove as suggested.

The edges of the cheek piece are a little too rounded so it lacks deffinition. I'd reshape it some so it has sharper edges and cut a molding or two on the edge of the cheek piece.

I also would slim the tails of the lock panels as suggested.

I can still see some seams on the trigger guard. A bit of filing will remove those.

It looks like the rear end of the trigger plate is a bit proud of the wood. If so you could file it down a tad.

Overall - way nice job!

burnsranch

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
Thanks

I will see if I can find my square cut concrete nails and grind out a tool  to cut some lines on the butt and clean up the ramrod grove. The carving will have to wait until the next gun. I am a hack when it comes to finish work, so I try to keep things simple and slow way down.

The cheek piece picture is a little blurred. I do have to lines in the cheek piece.
I still have to polish/finish the brass

Thanks again

Russ
It was a Chambers kit
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:35:37 PM by burnsranch »

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:38 AM »
If you want to cut molding lines, in the butt-stock or above the ramrod channel, for example, one of the easiest ways is to use a triangular file or the edge of a half-round file.  Draw a line where you you want it, then slowly work the file along it.; the length of the file helps keep the line straight and the depth increases fairly slowly at first, so there is plenty of time for correction.  Many (most?) originals have file cuts in the butt-plate, so I assume they were doing something similar.  I'm sure someone will correct me, as I'm just a beginner myself, if this technique is out of bounds.  You can do the same thing on the cheek-piece, although a handsaw also works there with some care.

gregg

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:45:49 AM »
WOW! Nice rifle and I'm so impressed with all the good advice..
I learned allot just reading.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 04:37:48 AM »
Burnsranch: That will be a good looking gun and a great looking one if you tweek it a little the way the others have sugested. You have done a realy nice job so far so steady and carefully as she goes to finnish it. Have fun with it and what will your next build be?   Gary

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »
Hi Russ,

Welcome to ALR.  First build?  You are doing very well.  Inletting looks nice and tight... I still have trouble with that at times.  The boys have made some good suggestions.  I don't think anyone mentioned adding a toe plate.  Easy to do and adds a little interest to that area.

My thoughts on the lock plate/side plate beaver tails.  I agree with the others, slim them down.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they should appear to be part of the panel, sort of flow out of it.  It doesn't have to, but the molding formed by the beaver tail can actually be one continuous line around both panels and integral with the tang carving.

I wasn't able to find an example photo of a beaver tail molding that doesn't continue...  I've seen 'em and they look good.  Maybe someone else will post some pics.

Add some modeling to the tang carving.  You're going to have a great looking rifle.  Keep up the good work and let us see your progress.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

burnsranch

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:47 PM »
I used to shoot black powder 25 years ago. A good family friend, Jack Perry, taught me. I wore out a hatfield and though I would put this one together and start shooting again. Building a house got in the way of this project, so it is long overdue.

I really only planned to just do a plain jane, but though I thought I would give the beaver tails a try. I just copied the beavertails out of Shumway's book. I just figured I would sand them off if I really messed up.

I would think you would have to do the relief carvings before you inlet the lock and side plate. That way you could get the depth of the inletting to match the beavertails.
I can sure smooth them up a little.

The next gun will probably be a squirrel gun and I will plan that one out before I start it and build some better carving skills.

Russ

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
Take a risk and make a nice molding along the ramrod channel while you are following Taylor's advice.It will make your gun look more finished and period correct.
And slimmer!

California Kid

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
All carving including beaver tails is done after the stock is shaped down to its final level. No extra wood is left for carving except for behind the cheek piece, and no more than 1/16". The stock should be ready to stain, then you are ready to carve.

greybeard

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »
Just a thought;  Isn't the fly suposed to be in the lock???
Nice work

burnsranch

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
You use them instead of lamp black