Author Topic: first build  (Read 5229 times)

Offline winemaker

first build
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:11:12 AM »
Here are some pics of my 2 summer projects.

This is my son Nickolai- Age 13

I bought the gun from some one that started it and couldn't finish it. It was butchered, the reason for the inlays behind the tang and the length of the ramrod hole, they broke thru.  The gun has a 36" douglas 7/8 .50 cal straight barrel, Davis lock, and a poured pewter nose cap. It's a lefty for my son. Once he gets his flinch under control he should be able to shoot better. The barn took 3 months to build it is 24 x 48. The gun took me 18 months to finish, the barn was less frustrating to finish. My next project is an early bucks county rifle, hope it doesn't take as long.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:03:02 AM by winemaker »

Offline Dave B

Re: first build
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 05:18:26 AM »
I like both your projects. It has always been a soft spot for me to pick up projects that some one has bailed on to bring them to conclusion better than where they were headed. He will all ways treasure that rifle as will his son I imagine.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »
That looks like one happy youngster. Nice job on saving that rifle.

Trkdriver99

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »
 :o I was worried for a moment there, I thought that the son was one of your summer projects. I was thinking of asking how you got one that big in a summer. I was going to get me one. :D :D
I really like the musket although the lock is on the wrong side, I am sure he will always remember these summer projects. Good luck on shooting.
Ronnie

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
Looks like a real fine first effort.  Each gun we build is a learning experience.  And that one will make a real difference in the life of that lad.  Good Work!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »
 That looks like one happy fella. Nice rescue, I'll bet he is proud of it.

Tim C.

PS: Nice barn/shop, no matter what the size they fill up fast. (you'll be wishing you make it bigger)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
You show great promise my first effort was far cruder. Fixing someone else's mistakes can make things far more difficult since they are often gross mistakes. You seem to have the skills in the basics and as more projects pass your work will improve greatly.
If you live in the east you and can get places like the CLR show or Dixons you will gain a lot of knowledge.

So far as your son's flinch...
I would have him dry fire with a wooden flint. Then progress to flashing pans of powder.  A light 50 can produce sharp recoil in a light rifle with more than 60-70 grains of powder. If recoil appears to be the problem you can always drop in a 45 cal barrel.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Buffler Razz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »
Very nice, the smile on his face says it all. He, and you, will long remember the time spent and the fine gun. I like the barn too! I keep threatening to expand my shed and add on a shop, problem is the dimensions keep growing, yours looks great!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:26:42 PM »
Nice job on the rifle.  I'm sure your son will remember his first rifle just like the rest of us do. You can tell he's proud of the rifle by his smile.  Now, you should have him help with the accoutrements he'll need.  My sons always seemed to take better care of things if they had a stake in making them.

Your barn/shop looks nice too.  The flitch siding adds a lot of character to a building.

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »
HooHa!  That is one happy young man.....  Good on you Dad!  First build???  Looks like a mighty fine rifle to me.  Keep 'em coming.  Nice barn too.

On the flinching problem....  the above advice is good and the dry firing can be done at home.  When you go to the range, here's a trick I used with my son when he was learning to shoot (and flinching).  Have your son turn his back, then you load (or not load) the gun using light loads (or none, haha).   Mix it up so he doesn't know what's going to happen.  It worked with mine, hasn't flinched since.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie