Author Topic: Screw extractor  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Karl K.

• Starting Member
Screw extractor
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:07:33 AM »
Similar to Tizzy's "Broken Tap" thread--'what if someone I know'
(couldn't have been me)... broke off a screw extractor while trying to replace a touchhole liner and need some info on how to get it out.

First, I tried using a screwdriver in the slot of the liner but it wouldn't budge.
Thought I'd try a screw extractor since the touchhole got enlarged and it had worked before.
I tried the extractor but it wouldn't budge the liner, so I backed it out and let some Liquid Wretch soak in the threads.
Tried the extractor again and it broke inside the touchhole. It broke on an angle--inside and outside the touchhole. 
Should I try and drill a hole in the extractor and extract the extractor?
Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Dave B

Re: Screw extractor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:20 AM »
This sound to me like you have run into the breach plug with your screw extractor. I would be inclined to try to drive it  back out  if possible by using a steel rod with a mild bevel ground on the end I would tap the metal rod against the breach face. the Idea being you can jar loose the extractor. I would be willing to be its protruding into the bore space a little. If what I suspect is true the easy out having engaged the plug will never be able to remove the touch hole liner. If you can get this one out you must use a larger extractor that will not touch the breach pin. Easy outs are as hard as a witches heart I don't think you are going to have much luck drilling it out.  Take it to a machine shop and they can use a carbide end mill to take it out or use an EDM to remove the offending bit. It may be possible to just drive the small bit through into the bore. But you risk damaging the opposite side of the barrel. Good luck
Dave Blaisdell

twistedtree

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:14:02 AM »
Have a machinest do it, it will be well werth the money you spend

hoochiepapa

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
Screw extractor's are VERY HARD. You won't be able to drill it out, being as they are harder than a drill. My suggestion is to take out the breech plug and try to tap it out from the inside. ???

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
If you are near someone that has EDM, it is definitely the way to get this done. I had a machine shop remove a 3/4" extractor that someone had broken off in a crank/tranny housing on a 60 year old John Deere and they did it slick as a whistle. To make matters worse, the broken-extractor person had then welded over the hole and welded the carriage fast to the case.
'

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
There are all kinds of small diamond bits that can be used in a Dremel tool or similar.  Why not try to remove all the vent liner around the easy out or the easy out itself.  Then, depending on what size vent liner you have, retap and install a larger one.  Just a thought.  A friend helped remove a broken tap from a lock for me using this method, although I didn't have to retap that hole.

imray

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
Hey, ya'll I read this thread this eve. and just wondered what the end results were? I've spent more than a few years in a machine shop and mechanical shops, and was curious to the end results. I have a few ideas that I've used over the years, with some success, but in this type of situation it all depends on each individual conundrum and exactly how it is. I have had some failures also.
   In the interest of curiosity I hoped to hear a Camelot ending, best wishes, ray

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
I don't know how this one turned out, but last week another guy sent me a barrel with a screw extractor broken off in the liner.  I simply punched the broken extractor on into the bore, drilled the hole slightly larger for the next larger size extractor and easily removed and replaced the liner.  When using a screw extractor you need to start with one large enough to do the job but still smaller than the threaded hole.