Author Topic: Golden Mean  (Read 13569 times)

FRJ

Re: Golden Mean
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
WOW!!!!! I didn't expect anything like the response I got. And all because I didn't use the search mode properly. I sure learned what the "Golden Mean" is and  while it is now intriguing me to no end I can see why some people growl over its mention. I think what I'll do is build my new rifle to the print I have and check out  the print to see how close it comes to the "mean" .  I'm surely glad that this site is here to help us "newbies" out of these tight spots. Thanks for the info and be prepared as I just might ask another question that you"old guys" have answered a million times. I will be learning how to use the search function properly. Frank

greybeard

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
I built a few guns before I had ever heard of Golden Mean and strangely enough they all seemed to shoot beter then I could.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 12:42:34 AM »
SOooo, we're not talking about the Golden Meany, the little gremlin that pees in your flash pan just as the ten point buck gives you a broadside an exactly 25 yards. ;D ;D ;D  It's that thing that comes naturally or learned by artist's, photographer's, architect's, and other creative folks, that just seems to fit whether it's planned or not.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline dave gross

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:57 AM »
After spending countless hours searching for Golden Mean relationships in some of my rifles...and finding none that I could be sure of, I veered off into using the Fibonacci sequence of numbers for laying out volutes in carving designs...and it works.  It's tough laying out all those little rectangles on the side of a gunstock, though.

Dave Gross
Way Down East in Penobscot, Maine

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 04:21:30 AM »
And to think, there's only four more weeks of Winter. Wacka, Wacka, Wacka!

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 06:36:31 AM »
"A bear in his natural habitat, a Studebaker." - Fozzie Bear
Kunk

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »
After spending countless hours searching for Golden Mean relationships in some of my rifles...and finding none that I could be sure of, I veered off into using the Fibonacci sequence of numbers for laying out volutes in carving designs...and it works.  It's tough laying out all those little rectangles on the side of a gunstock, though.

Dave Gross
Way Down East in Penobscot, Maine

Well, that's what calculus if for.  To make those rectangles infinitesimally small.  I just know the old masters always used calculus to do that.  Right along with their g----n m--n.
Best regards,
Dale