Author Topic: Tool for cutting mortise for thimble tabs  (Read 4906 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Tool for cutting mortise for thimble tabs
« on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:31 AM »
I suspect most of you have these (or something similar) but I just made a couple more and finished letting two thimbles and thought I would mention them in case some of the younger members haven''t tried them.

I buy 3/32 music wire from the local hardware. The make excellent small chisels. There is no need to further harden them if you are careful not to overheat them when grinding the chisel points.

I find the 3/32" the perfect size for the letting the thimble tabs into the bottom of the ram rod groove. If you leave the barrel in place (to help support the wood) its fairly easy to keep from breaking through into the barrel channel.

I mark the length of the tab on the bottom of the RR groove then use a straight chisel to start the sides of the mortise. Then use the 3/32" music wire chisel to cut out the middle of the mortise. Cut the sides again with the straight chisel then use the 3/32" chisel to deepen the mortise. Repeat the process until the thimble is in deep enough to allow the ram rod to slide in with out hitting the edge of the thimble.
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:16:46 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Tool for cutting mortise for thimble tabs
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:30:39 AM »
Thanks for the reminder re the music wire. It does make for great small chisels etc. However, I must confess...to the world!!!!  I don't even try to not break into the barrel channel when installing my ramrod pipes. I seat the tabs right up against the barrel. If thats incorrect..oh well.  One more thing I need to relearn ;D

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:37:06 AM »
However, I must confess...to the world!!!!  I don't even try to not break into the barrel channel when installing my ramrod pipes. I seat the tabs right up against the barrel. If thats incorrect..oh well.  One more thing I need to relearn ;D
Bob,
I seat my tabs right up against the bottom of the barrel also.  Reason being is that it providews a solid support to keep the thimbles from rocking.  I don't think you need to add that to your list of things to relearn.
DMR

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »
I got tired of breaking through and splintering the barrel channel, so I made a template that sits in the ramrod groove with a slot for a router bushing centered on the ramrod groove. I use my router with a 1/8" straight bit. It's nice and neat with no splintering and cut just the right size for the thimble tabs.   ...Geo.

northmn

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »
As I burn lots of firewood, I have several used up chain saw files.  They get ground into all kinds of different chisels and even gravers.  The tail works well for wood chisels and the file ends can be ground to chisel out things like the slots for barrel keys in the underpinning lugs.  As to breaking into the barrel channel with thimbles, I doubt if its all that big of deal.  I always do so.  I just chisel between drill holes.  Hacksaw blades make excellent scrapers for inletting the ramrod thimbles also.  Acers has shown a variety of scrapers made that way. 

DP

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »
I had never thought of music  wire. A good idea. I have used old needle files reground into chisels.
Gene

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »
      I have a nice carbide 1/8 straight sided cutter for my Dremel (gasp!)  This little cutter drills holes as well as it cuts to the side.  I simply plunge drill a series of holes side by side and the "connect the dots."  I keep one Dremel chucked with this bit and use it for all slotting jobs be it thimbles tabs for trigger guards whatever.  I used to chisel them in, too slow and tedious.  I agree with Dave in that I like the bottoms of the tabs to snug up to the barrel to give them solid support.  Must of the originals that I have had apart also had the tabs cut through to the barrel.  
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:57:25 PM »
I just cut my rod pipe tenons all the way through.  Now, if I can, I like to make my barrel tenons "blind", and just chisel them out, not breaking through the rod channel....if I can.  Sometimes I can't, but I don't worry about it.  Actually, I can chisel them out easier than drilling through and cutting them out, but the rod pipes are just too thin for me to do that way, so I drill through, then clean up with a knife.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."