Author Topic: gravers  (Read 6516 times)

jeager58

gravers
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:18 AM »
can anyone recommend a good source to buy gravers....Phil

Offline Paddlefoot

Re: gravers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:20:17 AM »
Gesswein tools. http://www.gesswein.com/
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

jeager58

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
thanks....phil

jrice

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:23 AM »
I have some extra 3/32 square gravers that I use. I will never use all of them, if you would like some of them let me know. I also have some wooden mushroom handles that I'm not using. I make my handles to fit me on my wood lathe. Let me know and I will put you together a good package for minimal cost. Thanks, Jerry 770-949-0264 or email me jerry-pc@comcast.net

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
If you don't already have a way to sharper your gravers I would really recommend the templates from Steve Lindsey. They work with regular stones (though he recommends diamond) and are pretty much foolproof.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I have to agree on the Lindsay sharpening templates. They are a stroke of genius. They only work with the 3/32 square tool bits, not with regular chisels nor traditional gravers.

I think TOF had special ordered a collet for 1/8 square tool bits from Lindsay.

The 1/8 ($3ea)bits are cheap, and the 3/32 come at a premium($10 ea). But if you are only going to use two or three, don't sweat the price.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
I think TOF had special ordered a collet for 1/8 square tool bits from Lindsay.

They are now a regular production item, you just have to specify that you want it when you order your templates.

The 1/8 ($3ea)bits are cheap, and the 3/32 come at a premium($10 ea). But if you are only going to use two or three, don't sweat the price.
We are talking about HSS bits here, already hardened and tempered, but you still have to grind the tip profiles on them.  An alternative is to buy 3/32 annealed W2 square barstock from MSC for only a couple bucks.  It comes in 3 ft. lengths and you can make 12-15 gravers from them.  Shaping can be done on stones before you harden them and they are good enough for most ML engraving.

Don't wast your money on the gravers sold by Gesswein and others.  They are special purpose for push engraving.  You can do everything you need with a couple of properly ground square gravers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
    Norbert, I just ordered 2, Muller carbon steel gravers from Metalliferous, graver#2, thickness (MM) 1.5. Will these work or should I get something else?    Thanks    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
Will these work or should I get something else?
They will work for their intended purpose, whatever that may be.  Randomly buying gravers off a website will not accomplish anything.  Available books and videos are of little value either, and we can't give you a basic 40 hour course here.

I suggest getting a copy of "The Book of Buckskinning V" and reading the chapter on engraving.  It will give you a good start.  Then you can ask questions from there.

The aforementioned square tips, properly ground to correct profiles, will handle everything you need to engrave a ML.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Walt S

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »
Al

I think most of us have used the Muller square gravers at one point in our life's.
On the engraversstudio.com there is a sharpening overview tutorial that will show how to change the shape and why you should to make the square gravers a little better. This is the link.

http://www.engraversstudio.com/apps/videos/videos/show/12204393-sharpening-overview

Engravers talk in code. It is always a good idea to understand the words engravers use when they are talking about the tools. I think the tutorial is 17 min long it may help some people understand that there is more to a square graver then a square.

Ws

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
This is how I sharpen my square gravers. It's a start, anyway. If you give me your e-mail address, I will email this to you as a PDF.

tcurran(at)fairpoint(dot)net

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:28:25 AM by Acer »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Hi Jaeger58,
I urge you to visit the following link:

http://www.airgraver.com/Hand_Engraving_Tools_Overview.htm#LINDSAY GRAVER BLANKS

Click on "graver blanks" in the menu or simply scroll down to them. The blanks shown are all you need.  If you are starting out, try the high-speed steel blanks (cheapest) but spend some money on a sharpening system.  Steve Lindsay offers a system that works extremely well and if you just use the stones instead of a power hone, the price is very reasonable.  It just takes longer to shape the gravers.

dave
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:39:14 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."