Author Topic: microplane Vs. traditional files/rasps.  (Read 11817 times)

Ohioan

microplane Vs. traditional files/rasps.
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:25:37 AM »
I was at my fathers house and used his microplane.  Those things cut fast, and don't leave marks like traditional rasps.  But my concern is durability. Do microplanes ever get dull enough they no longer perform as expected? 

Offline bob in the woods

Re: microplane Vs. traditional files/rasps.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:32:32 AM »
Yes, but so do traditional rasps and files. I've had some of my micro planes for 10 years. The ones that Muzzleloader Builders Supply sells are fantastic. They are also pretty inexpensive for what you get.
If mine gets too dull,  i'll pitch it and buy a new one.

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
A good cabinet maker's rasp will last for as long as you'll ever use it if you keep it off the metal.  It cuts much faster than a "traditional" rasp and it doesn't leave the pressed in marks that a machine cut rasp leaves. 

Tom

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »
Microplanes (by the maker Microplane; not Sureform...wouldn't give you a penny for those). But Microplanes are exceptionally good. They are cut by laser. The strange thing about them is learning how to use them. The harder you push down the less they cut. Makes sense once you look at the teeth. And you get different results according to how you attack the grain; ie, whether you cut with the grain, across or against it. I have been using the same set (flat, round and square) for 3 years now and the only thing I have had to do is push the teeth back out. Takes a good hour to do it right, but once I did that, its right back to where it was. They don't lose there sharpness enough to really tell unless you hit a barrel pin or something.
Susie

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 05:47:04 PM »
A good cabinet maker's rasp will last for as long as you'll ever use it if you keep it off the metal.  It cuts much faster than a "traditional" rasp and it doesn't leave the pressed in marks that a machine cut rasp leaves. 

Tom

If you use them enough they get dull, I have worn out at least 2. Wood IS abrasive to some extent. Its why saws need to be sharpened.
I tried acid sharpening one while at Shiloh. Easier to just throw it away before "sharpening".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

George F.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
I noticed that the direction you are cutting effects which side if the microplane cuts best. I don't know that much about them. Mine is about 2" wide and the shape is like 1/2 round. Are other sizes and shapes available?   ...Geo.

Ohioan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:02:07 PM »
from what I've seen on Woodcraft, they come in "course" and "fine".  Then there are triangle shaped, half-round, and flat.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
My oldest ones are from Lee Valley Tools here in Canada.  George, yours sounds to me more like a "surform".  I haven't had much luck with them. My microplanes are a pleasure to useThey leave a nicer finish than most of my rasps.

George F.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »
 I bought mine in the store while visiting my son in Florida. I just looked it up in Woodcraft. I found out there's a handle available, and different shapes. I've been holding the blade, I sure can see the advantage of a handle. Guess what I'm ordering next.   ...Geo.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »
I love them for shaping! Sharp & smooth cutting in hard maple. They do a much neater job than Surfoams, which I only use for rough shaping. When they seam to get dull, I think the teeth have gotten pushed down from pressing too hard. Then I spend a little time & carefully push them back out. Or buy a new one at the local woodworkers mill & supply house.
Tom C.

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
from what I've seen on Woodcraft, they come in "course" and "fine".  Then there are triangle shaped, half-round, and flat.

I have (and use daily) a 8" long x 1" wide flat, an 8" x 5/8" round, and a 8" long x 9/16 square file. When I was deciding which ones I wanted from their manufactory, I had them send me everything they made so I could go thru them all in real world application. They sent me about 15 different ones, and these are what I recommend, and use everyday. They only have one cut on these sizes. Any finer and the work should be done with something else! But these are common to my line. The company website is MuzzleloaderBuildersSupply.com and you can see them there. I only sell tools I know work and use myself. There are scrapers too that we make since I can't seem to find specialty stuff like that for a decent price. Wish I had more time to develope more.
Susie

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Susanne, those are the one I use too, in addition, There is a smaller round I like to use around the lock panels & entry pipe. It is about 6" long & (I think) a smaller dia. with a handle. They also have a 12" flat one that mounts in a hacksaw frame, that I found pretty much useless on gunstocks.
Tom C.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »
I've used these and high quality pattern makers rasps back to back in shaping stocks and the pattern makers rasps are far superior in my opinion.  The Nicholson pattern makers rasps work well, but rasps such as those which were produced by Auriou are as good as it gets.  Sure hope this company gets started back up. 

Ohioan

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »
So it seems like most of use the microplane.  As far as the blades getting pushed down,  that was my primary concern. 

Bioprof

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 06:31:48 AM »
I bought one of the handles this summer that you can use with different replaceable blades.  I have a flat blade and a round blade.  The flat one is good for leveling off flat surfaces, but the round one cuts more aggressively and is good if you need to remove a lot of wood.  You have to be careful though as you can remove too much wood if you aren't careful.

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
I wish I had all the money I have tied up in my files. Must be over a hundred or so that I use. Alarm bells go off if anyone gets too close to "my area" and my tools! Anyhow, I save my Microplanes for the rough stuff cause they really get it done fast. The "corners" on the square rasp are not sharp, but what I refer to as "eased" instead. They allow me to get into the nook around the closer areas on the comb nose, wrist and panels. All those arrays of differnt files I use do all the other jobs. I do have to say this though in my own self defense..... If I had to throw them all away except for one on shaping, the one I would keep is a 1/2" diameter rat tailed rasp. You can do almost ANYTHING in shaping with that puppy!
The other is a half round 2nd cut machine file with a screw on/off handle. I'll keep the alarms handy though that the other $3K of files don't dissapear! They all have their uses!
Susie

Michael

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »
I'm like Susie, files is one thing I got plenty of!!! I'm wondering if I have an addiction to them???  Several years ago my dad came to visit for a week when I showed him my shop he was impressed with the size my file rack. I took it as complement,he was a patternmaker and a model maker for 35 years with the Ford Motor Company. I bought a microplane about a year ago and was pleased with the way it works. To me it seems to work best on walnut and cherry where the rasps seem to cut better on the maple.

Michael

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 05:28:33 PM »
The way they cut is dependent on the direction you cut. I have had some superb maple that wouldn't want to cut, but once I figured out which way to engage it the microplanes did well. Any hard or dense wood will be more hard to cut, and you have to judge the piece to know what to use on it. I always try to bandsaw off as much as I can and use the roughest rasp/plane I have to make short order of the bulk of the wood. You have to or work yourself to death. My most expensive files are the finest (Swiss) and actually are for mostly metal decoration and finishing; also several are a bit coarser but still are prized for detail work in and around the carving. I have a few small rounds which step in size that are strictly for removing very small areas. I love those, and yes, the right files are an ongoing search that never ends.
Susie

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
I contacted the European rep but it seems the Microplanes are no longer produced!  >:( >:(
Real bikes are kick-started....

northwoodsdave

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
I buy mine directly from Microplane, and wouldn't give them up for anything.  They may not be "traditional," but they are wonderful tools.  I still use traditional rasps and files, but for fast removal of material, these can't be beat.  You do have to be careful, because they can be a bit TOO efficient at taking off wood.  For final shaping, I prefer a nice rasp to keep from taking off too much.

I too have noticed that the harder you press, the less material you seem to remove.

David L

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »
I contacted the European rep but it seems the Microplanes are no longer produced!  >:( >:(

Baloney! He just doesn't want to mess with them! The company is right here in Arkansas and I buy from them once a month! They are great people.
Susie

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 05:41:31 PM »
I bought a surform plane years ago. The typical flat surform is useless.
The 1/2 round is good for removing large amounts of material. But the blade is hard to find.
But I have found that properly used a large gouge is faster and causes less sweat. But its easier to go too deep this way.
The cabinet makers rasp the 49 or 50 is better when getting close to the finished dimension. They cost a lot but are simply wonderful. Far better than anything I have ever used for fairly fast wood removal, control and smooth cutting.
Metal files will smooth the surface further, 12"  2nd or smooth cut 1/2 round is nice, and scrapers smooth further still.
Everyone finds their way or doing things.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine