Author Topic: Barrel Weight and Profile  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Barrel Weight and Profile
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Hello all,

The gun I am wanting to build in RCA no. 42.  The butt height is 5 inches and the width is around 2 ish.  So it will have the meat that earlier rifles had to it.  The original barrel was 45inches, I am wanting to do a standard 42 inch or 44.  Also, like the original I want it in .50 caliber. 

Now to my question.  In all of the vast experience present on this website, what profile and weight barrell be best?  I am looking at Colerains B or C in 42 or 44.  Also, Buckeye barrels does a C and D in 42 which is used on Chambers VA rifle? 

Any suggestions?

Coryjoe

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Barrel Weight and Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
While I don't have RCA with me at the moment, Schumway gives breech diameters for most of the guns in his books.  I would try to match the breech width of the original as closely as possible.  Probably the 'C' profile at least.  I would also get the longer barrel.  Of course, this will make into a heavier rifle, so your use will have a bearing on your choice.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
I do not own a copy either.  Could someone tell me which lettered measurement is the breech???

Coryjoe

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:48:50 PM »
The answer is "D"
Ed Hamberg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
I think Wallace led a bunch of folks in re-creating RCA 42 and had some custom barrels made that duplicated the original.  In a bench copy you'd want as close a copy of the barrel as possible.  But I try to keep in mind that the maker probably made quite a few rifles that year, and they likely varied a bit.  For pre-1775 I like D weight barrels; they lend themselves to a robust architecture.  The original rifle is heavier than you might think; maybe 9.5 pounds IIRC.  A C weight would lessen that a bit in .50 caliber.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »
Thes days we tend to build rifles that are too light and fowling guns that are too heavy...
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Contact Ed Rayl.  He will make a barrel that closely replicates the original.  There may be a chance that he has one on hand.  I returned a #42 barrel last summer or early fall in order to obtain one with a faster twist.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
Thes days we tend to build rifles that are too light and fowling guns that are too heavy...

Too much swamp in the rifle barrels I think.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 03:08:34 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I am looking a two of the Barrels that Buckeye barrels sells that are very similar to the measurements of the original. 

Thanks again

Coryjoe

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 03:42:29 AM »
Very similar surely is a relative term.  Don't believe you are going to find a commercial barrel that is close.  Of course nothing wrong with this approach, however.  I've got the original barrel dimensions around here somewhere.  Let me know if you need them.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 04:00:02 AM »
Thanks Jim,

I have the info in RCA about the breech area.  I am not too worried about making an exact copy, for one I was not going to get a barrel as long as the original.  Also, I do not think my skills would permit me to make an exact copy. 

I would love to see images of the one you made if you have any. Thanks for your help.

Coryjoe

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:13 AM »
Coryjoe,

I didn't get any pictures of the rifle I built based on #42 before delivering it to the customer.  I've been wanting to get some professional photography done on it, but it hasn't been arranged yet.  I expect that I'll get some photos this summer.  If you have any questions on the original just ask.  In making a "copy" I am pretty familiar with most every detail of the rifle.

Jim

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
Jim,

I am curious about the patchbox.   RCA states that the patchbox on it could be a replacement for the original.  What did you do for your patchbox?

Coryjoe

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »
Wallace Gusler wrote some articles in Muzzle Blasts detailing the patchbox.  There's a lot of great information and photos there.  Most folks now think the patchbox is original to the rifle. There's no indication there was ever a sliding wooden patchbox- no dovetail repair in the buttplate.
Andover, Vermont

keweenaw

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
Wallace is absolutely convinced the patch box is original and I've held the rifle and looked at the PB in great detail and agree with Wallace.  You'll be much happier spending the few extra dollars and getting the correct barrel for this rifle as Jim suggests.  The original barrel has far less swamp in it than a Colerain C or D and with the large butt the rifle balances perfectly. 

Tom

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
The good folks at Muzzleblasts are sending me those back issues with those articles.  I should get them soon.  I am going to the Harrisonburg show this weekend and a friend said Rayl is usually there, so I may talk to him about the barrel.

As for the patchbox it is interesting decision to make as well.  I am not focusing on an exact copy so I may go for a wooden one just out or personal preference.  But I am drawn to that unique shape of the brass one to.

Plently of time to decide that.

Coryjoe

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »
As others have suggested, I feel certain the brass box is original to the rifle.  It is a bit different, but once you get accustomed to the look, I think it has appeal.   I will say that the design including the kick open spring and catch work very well.  It was somewhat of a pain to make ithough. 

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 04:23:11 AM »

I am curious about the patchbox. 

C. Laubach