Author Topic: Can't Stop the Rust!  (Read 13744 times)

Birddog6

Re: Can't Stop the Rust!
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Never loan out your wife, chainsaw or squirrel rifle.....  The chainsaw will come back with a dull chain & may not run...... the rifle may come back with a rusted bore...... and the wife may just come back.........     :-\
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:21:22 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
You know..that mention of the chainsaw brought back a real funny story. My buddy had his chainsaw returned with chain oil in the gas tank. His friend said, " it won't start ! "   ;D ;D I laughed my head off!
The best part was when he took it to the repair shop....they laughed too. Especially when he said that "his friend did it "     ;D

gregg

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
I know this will make me a hero.
I don't use anymore soapy water anymore.
Water but not soap, I think its like cleaning your cast iron cook ware
in the dish washer. Just a thought guys.
I just don't do it anymore.

J1776

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 02:16:45 AM »
In reference to rust issues,...I wonder about "carding" barrels or any other metal items? 
I mean, it "looks" interesting, on some things it looks great.....but I've worked on old cars for years and the fact is, you can never actually "stop" rust once it starts.
You can slow its progression, but never completely remove it 100%.  It's there just hiding. :P

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:39 AM »
Never loan out your wife, chainsaw or squirrel rifle.....  The chainsaw will come back with a dull chain & may not run...... the rifle may come back with a rusted bore...... and the wife may just come back.........     :-\

Historical.

A good gun. A good horse. A good wife.
In that order!

E. Ogre

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 07:40:27 AM »
You didn't say if your gun was caplock, or flint. Also, what powder was used?  If not real black, considering the cleaning materials. I'd be prepared for the worst. I cleaned a barrel to where a patch came out clean; the next day, the first patch came out dirty. Cleaned again, then the next day ...same thing.  This went on for 4 days.
I don't lend my guns or my wife ;D
I did lend a gun to a good friend a long time ago. It was a .270, and he mistakenly fired a .308 through it.
Learned my lesson .

how dose a .308 chamber in a .270 i know the brass in just about the same but i dont think the neck will chamber

A friend saw this done and it did not even stick the case.
Guy had a 308 in his pocket with the 270s and loaded it when hunting and in a hurry.
Friend picked up the cases and found  a funny looking empty with "308" head stamp.
I assume the 270's neck was probably about .310" and acted like a freebore and gave the bullet a run at the rifling ???
Given the case lengths and the neck diameter it would fit. The 308 has a little less taper maybe but given the "tolerance" built into the SAAMI chamber specs, it would likely chamber and fire fine if the chamber was near the max dimension.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
The mouth of the .308 case did not encounter the neck of the .270's chamber by about .050". This allowed the .308's neck to release the larger bullet while the case expanded to fill the longer chamber. This necessary expansion of the case increased the volume of the .308 'case' to the point the overall pressure was probably reduced from a normal .308 or .270 round.  The bullet merely squrted out into the leade and throat as Dan noted.  Also as Dan noted, the .308 bullet would draw down and squirt out the .277" barrel just fine.  In this situation, the case neck was able to expand easily to allow the bullet to exit without increasing pressure, in fact due to the extra-large volume of the longer chamber, the pressure was likely reduced over normal .308 or .270.  The rear of the .308 case was the proper size to seal the .270 chamber.  

Ackley's experiments proved a properly opened chamber would allow what amounted to be a .35 Whelen with a 150gr. bullet to be fired in a .30/06 without increasing the pressure over a normal '06. I think the load was 45gr. IMR4895 - IIRC. By the time the powder peaked pressure - the bullet was some inches down the tube and now the correct size.

Detonations are a different matter. Had the neck of the case been restricted in opening to allow the bullet to depart easily, serious consequences might have 'ERUPTED".

Oops,. we're off topic. sorry.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:03:09 PM by Daryl »