Author Topic: stock question  (Read 3295 times)

jeager58

stock question
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:56:58 AM »
I was going to order a precarved stock from dunlap. my barrel wont be in for 12 weeks. should I wait til I have the barrel before I get the stock. I have heard that some builders like to keep the barrel in the channel to keep it from warping...phil

Offline pathfinder

Re: stock question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
Enough wood will be taken off the forestock that warping isn't an issue. I was really surprised at the wait times for some barrels.
I've been out of the serious side of building for a while due to surgery's and life for @ 10 years,and remember I could get darn near any barrel profile and caliber with a couple of phone calls. Now I came across two swamped barrels at a trade fair(1-42",1-44" both .50) for a really good price and was asked numerous times if I wanted to sell 'em as I walked around the show.
Are there that many builders out there or is it something else causing the long wait?. What happened to De-Hass and Orion Barrels? Is it just Rice,Getz and Colrian left?(I've used and LOVE all of them!)
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
Get the stock blank and let it sit in you shop until the barrel comes in. Adjusting for your local climate can only help you.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:27:10 PM »
We used to have a lot of Isaac Haines kit stocks done by Bob Lepley.   One thing I found out,...if you didn't have a barrel
to stick into that stock right away, the inlet would close up, especially in the foregrip area where that square block of wood was left on.   I made a special scraper to take care of that.............Don

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
I fit a one-inch dowel (hardware store) into the barrel channel and tape that tight so the forestock can't warp.  If a swamped barrel, I'd rasp a piece of 3/4" pine down to fit the flat of the bottom of the channel and tape that to keep the forend straight.  You expect to have to scrape the edges to get the barrel into the channel.
Herb

jeager58

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:36:57 AM »
thanks for the info...phil

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:29:26 AM »
I just spent last Sat  evening  refitting barrels to stocks that had been left unmated .One a TOW fusil that a gentleman sent me to work on, was pretty new.The forestock had a belly in it already.
One from a R.E. Davis parts set that had been sitting[I'm guessing a year or more]
Lots of swelling in that one.
Set the barrels as soon as its inlet.
Those are two recent examples...

Alex.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit