Author Topic: Winter shoot descriptions More!  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Winter shoot descriptions More!
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:24 PM »
Winter doldrums and cabin fever days are upon most of us.  Surpised we don't see more postings describing winter line shoots and/or woodswalks.  Ol Daryl has been taking care of the woodswalks postings with photos no less - more ???

I hope more folks are getting out to shoots than we think.  Our Penna Federaton clubs run shoots and walks near every weekend. Including this coming where there are 2.

BrownBear

Re: Winter shoot descriptions More!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »
No line shoots or walks here, just snowshoe hare hunting and general horsing around in the hills.

In fact, I just gave away my last can of 4f as a result.  We get a lot of wind, and this year has been "special."  To the point that even turning my back and holding the lock tight up against my body, I can't get half a charge into the pan, much less keep it there before closing.  It's got me even thinking of smaller diameter powder measures I can shove down into the bore as I pour!

Positive lesson is that 2f is a dandy prime, and even 1f works great in a Bess lock.  Sure better than bare pans, in any case!   ;D

And historic or not, loading blocks were made for small balls and gloves in the snow.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:02:04 AM by BrownBear »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
This A.M., I got the winter part, but its about two months too late to shoot. Freezer's full anyway.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 02:31:03 AM »
Roger, Did you see this post?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got back from the Cabin Fever shoot a little while ago and was very pleased with the turn out and variety of targets.  Although we only had 12 participants, 5 were not from our club, which is a good thing.  (Upon registering, we asked for and got e-email addresses so we can notify them in the future.) The targets ranged from playing cards on edge @ ~12 yds., to charcoal briquets on strings @ 25 yds., to a chain @ ~40 yds., and different sized gongs at ranges between 50 and 150 yds.  While I'd like to say I finished in the top 25%, alas, I did not (more like 6th).  However, I had a wonderful time and enjoyed being outdoors in almost balmy 45 deg. temperatures (sunny, no wind, but icy roads this AM).

Btw, I hit the chain and some of the gongs, including the 150 yd. one, but missed the briquet and only cut 1/3 of the playing card.  I was using an Indiana-made .50cal. Mowrey caplock rifle with .495" (.497" in fact) RB's which I cast and weighed.  The patching was .018" pillow tick thoroughly lubed (hand rubbed, then "nuked") with T/C Bore Butter*.  My powder was Graf/Wano FFFg, but I varied the charge to suit the distance.  Caps were ~40 yr. old Rem. #10's.  The Mowrey has been accurate,  completely reliable, and a pleasure to shoot offhand.

*I normally use spit patches, but given the spate of cold weather we've had, I thought one of the greasy lubes would be a better choice.  Any of the yellow, oil of wintergreen scented lubes have always worked well in my rifles.

P.S.  After reading Dennis' post about security concerns, I decided to change my screen name from pwbrasky to Maven.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:32:46 AM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:00:30 AM »
 roger; 
       we at powder patch and ball shoot a trailwalk the first sunday of every month. theres 25 targets in all along the trail.check our web site   powderpatchandball. com. the target range from 5yds though 98yds. always a lot of entertainment, and food

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »
Our club holds a Primitive shoot first Saturday each month rain or snow or shine. Last match we had the rain, it poured. Our spirits weren't dampened though. We have a dry three side log shelter and we cooked salt pork and johnny cake on the fire (started with flint and steel in the rain of course). After we drained the coffee pot the rain slacked and we shot our woods walk range. We have several steel gongs located at various ranges along the trail and we often try different shots at different angles through the brush to change up. We have a log chain that presents a challenge from one spot where it is barely visible between two trees. I tied for second place but lost out on the playing card tie breaker. The weather was a good test for my new wool hunting frock. I havn't had this much fun since I was 12!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
  Where's the Donner Party?

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »
HA! - for some reason, we've not taken a camera along this year.  Had it in the tuck, last week, but left it there. Maybe this Sunday?

Old Salt

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »
Barrie and I will be holding the silhouette shoot at Bucks County Fish and Game Assoc in Doylestown on Sunday 27 Feb.   We shoot from the line at a variety of steel targets at 25 and 50 yards.  Shooting starts at 11:00 AM.

Leo       

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
I ran (ran? walked.) the Manchester Vermont primitive biathlon on the 12th and went back for more shooting on the 13th. The weather was fine, about 18-25F both days and the wind stayed mild till mid-afternoon. There were probably around 100 participants.

I completed the snowshoe course a little faster than last year and shot 6 out of 9 gongs as opposed to my usual 7, so I ended up with the same adjusted time as last year.  I came in about halfway down the pack. My shooting buddy Steve did the course with his matchlock rifle, but was plagued by misfires. I'm an advocate of nitrated match, but he won't go there. Maybe now...

The last three gongs are about the size of half a playing card at 25 yards, so everyone comes panting in to the last station and generally misses at least one. All the gongs at Manchester tend to be smaller than those up in Smuggler's Notch, so overall the shooting scores are a little worse.

There were a number of side competitions to keep people busy while they waited their turn on the course. There was a five card draw shoot - 5 shots and a card drawn for each hit, highest poker hand wins. Someone came up with a flush. There was a new option this year. If you don't like your hand you can discard two cards and shoot at a more distant, smaller gong for the chance at two more.

There was the King of the Hill shoot, which is up to five shots at a gong, timed, fastest three hits wins. The guys with the smoothies have a better chance at this. Practically speaking, you have to hit the first three times or you're done for.

There was an "Absolute Marksman" competition with standard paper targets at 25 yards. First place was a tie between two old well-known marksmen - they both put 5 shots in groups you could wrap your thumb and forefinger around. They had a one shot tiebreaker.

I competed in both rifle and smoothbore. My rifle shooting was, er, okay. The fun part was bringing out my matchlock smoothbore. "The Club"was a copy of a 1660s era military point-and-shoot in 66 caliber. I crowned the muzzle, inletted a front sight, enlarged the flash guard, hollowed out a place for my cheek in the buttstock, and forged it a nicer looking trigger lever out of some wrought iron. I managed second place, mostly due to the "no-flinch" attributes of matchlock ignition. I realized that 1F is much kinder to my shoulder than 2F in this bore. (For those who are interested: .684 bore, .662 ball, .025 ticking lubed with rubbing alcohol/neatsfoot mix, 80 grains of 2F)

I had one mishap. I thought that I had gotten snow down the barrel on one shot, so I dumped the charge and started again. What I didn't realize is that some of the charge had stuck in the bottom, so I ended up with ~1.25 powder charges. That shot was a bit high.

The event caters to everyone from the historically clothed flint shooters to people trying out their inlines. There's a non-timed woods walk for people who want to stop and imagine smelling the flowers as they shoot. It's a must-go for me every year.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »
Sounds like a fun shoot, Rex.  I've tested .662's in my .69 rifle as well as the .675" and .684's.  When the bore size gets larger, there are definitely are more options, ball size wise and still stay quite accurate.

The matchlock sounds like fun - Hatchet Jack has one - probably have the opportunity to shoot it some at our local rendezvous. It is patterned after  very early Spanish (??) gun.

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Daryl, once you get past the slow no-release trigger pull I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by a matchlock. The word "surprised" is significant. With a matchlock the shooter slowly pulls the trigger and the match slowly descends towards the prime. The tip of the match disappears behind the flash guard and...*surprise*...there is a sudden bang. The ignition is near instantaneous so the shooter has no chance to flinch. It makes me seem like a better shooter than I actually am. Matchlocks persisted on European target rifles long after flintlocks had taken over hunting and military use.

Look back in my post and you'll see that my matchlock has a .684 bore, not a .690. Odd, but it makes a .662 ball nice and tight. A .675 would be slip fit and a .684 would be a press fit.

The primitive biathlons are a lot of fun. Perhaps that's why the attendance is measured in the hundreds. It's a total physical test - move fast - hold perfectly still - move fast - hold perfectly still. After the first quarter mile, when I no longer feel as if my lungs are about to come up, I can even enjoy the scenery. There's something about the cabin fever relief that makes the whole event more cheerful - everyone seems in a really good mood. You folks up in our latitude should put one on.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 02:49:03 AM »
Here's some shots from a few hours ago on our trail...Taylor Daryl, and "Hatchet Jack" Bradford.  Temperature was 7 F.  Lots of dry snow falling both from the skies and the trees.  We are on snow shoes walking on about 3' of packed snow...there's about 5 1/2' of the white stuff, so it'll be a while before we see daffydillies.  A very pleasant day indeed.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:14:18 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 03:23:57 AM »
Had a good time - didn't feel cold at any time.  Hatchet jack is firing at the fox- 92 yards away in the 'behind' picture - the fox looks like a horizontal bar sticking out from the right at the rear field of view of the picture.  Behind Taylor is the huge orange cylinder pistol target, smaller 'crow' target to the right and a 12" diameter bucket at 109 yards(100 meters), both simple targets for the rifles.

Snowing constantly, all day.

I was the only one with a caplock - chose it due to the snow falling and I was the only one who had missfires -  my nipples filled with water :) (Kodiak).

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:40:33 AM »
"Population" at Fort George 'drunk' no @!*% wonder heck and we were complaining about our foot of snow and ice!  Ol Taylor did mean 3 feet of snow eh? (not inches)

Thanks for the photos...... ;D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:16:27 AM »
Thanks Roger...yes, feet, not inches!  ...just in case you might think, since we're metric up here, that I can't remember the difference.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

California Kid

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:51:50 AM »
AH! The Donner Party finally dug out of the avalanche!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 08:54:42 AM »
   A "Fine Bunch of Cannibles"!

California Kid

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »
Are they having a friend for dinner?

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »
Yeah - feet -  in the meadow picture, Taylor is well over his knees in the fresh snow yet he's wearing snowshoes - he's 6'2" & there's a good 4 feet to 5 feet of snow under his feet. Spring seems a mite "off in the distance".

Here it is 07:10 & it's just stopped snowing - still blowing a bit - oops, still snowing  bit too - really fine blowing stuff. Using the blower yesterday morning, I cleared just about a foot of snow from 2 drives, a sidewalk and around the hot tub before going shooting, and there's another foot to blow today. A bit cooler too - about minus 5F or minus 20C.

Harnic

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
How deep does the snow need to get b4 you shovel the roof Daryl?

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 07:31:13 PM »
We had a hard mild spell a while back and removed most of the snow off the roof. I suspect it won't need it - if it does, I'll hire the Roller Derby Girls to do it - they need the money. ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 11:55:14 PM »
Little slack around here in shoots (and scores).  2 days at Sheshequin 2 wks ago, 1 day at Danville and Sunday at a lccal club past weekend and next Sunday a 30 or so shot w walk at Boyertown, (blanket) may still be cold but at least few black flies. ;D

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
We're finding Deep Woods Off works all day in this weather- sure keeps them away.