Author Topic: NEW TO THE FLINTLOCK  (Read 3228 times)

Offline hortonstn

NEW TO THE FLINTLOCK
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
being new to the flintlock i have a question
i have a chambers golden age germanic lock the flint hits about half of the
frizzen i turned the flint upside down and it hits about 1/4 inch higher
is this correct or should it hit the complete length of the freezen
thanks paul
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:47:43 PM by HORTONSTN »

Offline Longknife

Re: NEW TO THE FLINTLOCK
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
  You can put the bevel up or down, where ever you get the best sparks and ignition.....         Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:06 PM »
It's something you have to experiment with.  It's possible your flint is a little bit short - try moving it further forward in the jaws.  Your flint should hit the frizzen about 2/3 of the way up or so, and the frizzen should flip all the way forward when the gun is fired.  Usually the flint is adjusted while the gun is at half cock with the frizzen lowered - the flint is adjusted square to the frizzen face, and, depending on the lock, 1/8 or 3/16 inches (even more on some locks) from the face of the frizzen. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:15:00 AM »
The flint should strike the frizzen at an angle of "about" 60 degrees.  I also should make contact with the frizzen 1/3 or so down from the top.  I always install flints bevel up unless it doesn't work as well; then I'll turn it over.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:20:33 PM »
Sometimes reversing the fint works, ie: bevel up to get a lower strike, or bevel down to get a higher strike, but watch where the sparks fall in any positon.  You want them in the pan, not everywhere but in the pan.  Adjusting in and out also effects spark fall, elevation of the strike and intensity of the sparks. Different sizes work best in different locks. The size listed for your lock, might not be the best size or shape - something you must learn for each flint lock you have. They can be particualar.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
I have a Golden Age lock and use Rich Pierce's wonderful Missouri flints. I set them with the  cock on halfcock, bevel down, square and just short of touching the frizzen. On my lock, I get a ton of sparks, reliable  ignition and 100-120 shots per flint. You will need to experiment a bit, but this works for me.
Gene