Author Topic: Inletting Breech Plug  (Read 4641 times)

Offline grabenkater

Inletting Breech Plug
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
I am about to start my first rifle project. I sent my blank to David Keck to have the barrel inletted and the ramrod channel drilled. So, now its time to inlet the underlugs and the breech plug.

I have to say that I am a little intimidated. Can someone offer some tips or tricks? I know that I need to make some small scrapers to get a really tight fit, but other than that, I am ready to go.

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Inletting Breech Plug
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »
Grab, have you got any 'how to' books, like Chuck Dixon's, or Buchell's  'Recreating the Kentucky Rifle' (might not have that title right)?
Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
I have Shumways book and Dixons book.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 01:07:59 AM »
    Just take your time, make sure of what your doing.  And the further along people get the faster they go, in a rush to see it done. That's when you screw things up. If you get to a part you don't understand in the books, don't forget the tutorial on this site. Take your time, enjoy each step of the build. Don't forget to take some pic's along the way ;D    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 01:14:21 AM »
Once you get your breech plug fit to the barrel, file a bit of a taper on the tang and on the breech plug lug. File these so the lug and tang are a tad narrower on the bottom than on the top.  This helps make sure your inlet fits nice and tight and it also helps taking it in and out of the stock.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
I am about to start my first rifle project. I sent my blank to David Keck to have the barrel inletted and the ramrod channel drilled. So, now its time to inlet the underlugs and the breech plug.

I have to say that I am a little intimidated. Can someone offer some tips or tricks? I know that I need to make some small scrapers to get a really tight fit, but other than that, I am ready to go.

Sure, get the books.  Chuck Dixon's walks you throu step by step.  I said it before and I'll say it again.  Do not rush, do not look at the whole project break it down to small little jobs, stay out of the wine jug til later,, do not work late and when tired. and never, never have your lady love 'help' ::)

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:51:25 AM »
Grab........before I can offer any advise, it would help to know whose barrel you are using and what type of breechplug
is in it............Don

Meteorman

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:07:36 AM »
Can someone offer some tips or tricks?

.. and don't forget to spend some quality time with your chisels & gouges and your sharpening system before you start.
Keep the strop handy and use it often.
You're inletting experience will be much more enjoyable.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:17:51 AM »
Grab,

Don't forget Mr Okie's build: Building a Chunkgun

He is building it step by step and photo documenting it as he goes along!

Best regards,
Albert

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:33:57 AM »
File the draft and go SLOW. Squeeze it down in with hand pressure. NO hammers needed here, might split something. Be skimpy with the inletting black. I tap the muzzlle gently with a light lead hammer to make sure the breech is set back properly and most of all have a good time. Cheers   Bob