Author Topic: Barrel inletting review  (Read 5080 times)

Offline AMartin

Barrel inletting review
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
I just returned home in the rain yesterday from Mark Wheland's house/shop ........ With me I had 3 barrels that he inlet into wood ... and let me tell you I"m pleased as punch !!!!
I also dropped off 8 more to have inlet !!

Mark asked me to look em over and tell him what I think of his work  ... as in quality of the barrel channel & location of the ramrod hole & groove .... I'm not only telling him but the whole gunbuilding world ..... super job !!!!

Depth of ramrod hole at the breech is critical for certain styles of rifles ... on Lehigh flinters I like the web 1/8" or less at the very breech ... this keeps the lock above center ... and on earlier rifles ... a thicker web is needed to keep the lock lower .... Mark nailed each one to what I asked for !!! The barrel channels are snug at the breech , a bit looser in the rest of the channel ... life is good !!!

Fred Miller has been inletting my barrels for years ....for the most part always done a super job ..It's really nice to have a gunbuilding friend like Mark take over the reins .....

Dave Keck provides a extra service if somebody wants to have their buttstock shaped .... Mark's machine does ONLY barrel & ramrod grooves . If you want your butt shaped , call Keck .... barrels only , Mark might be the man !!

Mark Wheland
RR#1 Box 104B
Williamsburg , PA 16693

814-832-2785 - home
814-931-5741 - cell

mwheland@embarqmail.com
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:47:06 PM by AMartin »

Berks Liberty

Re: Barrel inletting review
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »
I got mine back from Mark.  He put a 44 inch Oct to Rnd in a piece of Cherry and it looks great!  I couldn't be happier!  This is the first time I used anyone to inlet a barrel for me and I am very pleased.  Check him out if you got some work to do.  He charged me $80 for the inlet of the Oct to Rnd plus shipping.  An Oct. barrel he quoted $75.  When he shipped it back he packed it properly and I couldn't complain about anything.  Like Allen mentioned he does a really great job! 

Jason

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
I'd expect nothing less from Mark.  It's good when this kind of work is done by somebody who builds rifles and knows exactly how it should be done.  Don't think anybody could go wrong with using Mark.

wetzel

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, I had Fred Miller inlet a barrel for me a few years ago and was very pleased.  I am preparing for a project and was disappointed and dismayed to hear that he had retired, so knowing a quality person to send it to makes me feel much better.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
I haven't had one done by Mark yet, I probably will.  I have had one done by Dave Keck and also by Dave Rase....both were done perfectlly.  So it is good to know there are several sources who can do this critical work  that is especially difficult for an ill-equipped amateur. ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

eagle24

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
Dave Rase did a nice job on the one I am working on now.  Only problem with Dave is he's a looooooooooong way from Alabama. :D

Offline Telgan

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:20:15 AM »
I had no idea Mark was inletting barrels. Great to know. Thanks for the review Allen.

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:28:21 AM »
MArk did two barrels for me.  A short swamped one and a 45 1/2" with a profile like the Brass barreled rifle.  Both are excellent including the ramrod drilling.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:02:07 AM »
Jim Kibler beat me to my comments.   It is so good to have a person that really knows how to build a gun well to inlet a
barrel for you.   He fully understands how and where things should go.  An important thing is knowing where to put the
breech end of the barrel, especially if the butt portion is preshaped.    Right now I am working on my next gun, a fowler,
and am in the process of moving the barrel back a full half inch, all because it was not placed properly when inletted.
Looks like Mark has now taken on a second job, ha.................Don

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
Good info....made it into a favorites for future reference.