Author Topic: devided/stacked shot loads  (Read 2336 times)

Offline bob in the woods

devided/stacked shot loads
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:38:09 AM »
I just got my Muzzleloader magazine, and there is an article in it which proclaims the virtue of stacked shot loads. Basically, youload 1/3 the shot. then a wad. then more shot and a wad etc. This is supposed to produce a better ,tighter pattern.  Has anyone here tried this? I'm not unhappy with the patterns I get now from my NE Fowler, but this sounds interesting. I believe you would get a longer shot column going to the target. Not sure this would be a good thing. If using 1 oz of shot I still prefer the 10 over say a 20, 'cause I find it easier to hit what I'm shooting at. The shot is not all strung out.
What do others think?

roundball

Re: devided/stacked shot loads
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
I've seen a reference in the past about using an OS card between 3rds, not wads but never tried it...might be worth trying a few shots with the new .54SB this summer just because.....and longer shot strings only help with small stationary targets I'm interested in like a turkey's head, squirrel, etc

northmn

Re: devided/stacked shot loads
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
Application of wads in a shot column is an old trick to make a spreader load in a cartridge.  In theory, a wad that would disintegrate under pressure might prevent set back force from doing as much damage to the bottom shot layers. I would not use a card wad but a thin fiber wad and see.  I have used card wads to make spreader loads for tight choked guns, but would put in 2 of them at about every 1/3 level so one would ahve to experiment a bit on this one.

DP