Author Topic: Underlug tutorial by D. Taylor question  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Underlug tutorial by D. Taylor question
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:11 AM »
Do you secure the underlug by just a friction fit, staking or soldering?  I am making lugs from .031 brass and will silver solder the web joint as per your tutorial.  If I were to next solder the lug in the dovetail, is there a way to keep the solder  in the web?   

Dave Waters

Re: Underlug tutorial by D. Taylor question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:49:41 AM »
I'd use hi-temp silver solder to do the under lug by it's self and then use low temp "swift 95" to solder it in the dovetail

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »
Do you secure the underlug by just a friction fit, staking or soldering?  I am making lugs from .031 brass and will silver solder the web joint as per your tutorial.  If I were to next solder the lug in the dovetail, is there a way to keep the solder  in the web?   

Just stake it, if the fit is good I cannot see needing solder.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave Waters

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:46 AM »
I sure agree with the staking as far as mounting them.  ;D

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  In the past I just staked the lugs in place but was using a heavier gauge steel lug.  Looking at brass only .032 thick, I thought it might be wiser to solder as well.  Turns out the .032 isn't enough to fill the dovetail flush with the barrel flat so I have to go to the thicker gauge lug anyway. 

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 05:59:24 AM »
With a decent fit, staking in place isn't necessary.  Friction alone will hold fine.  If the dovetails are created with a chisel, the raised material can be clenched down on the dovetail to secure it in place.  If dovetails are created just by filing, a good fit will hold it in place.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
I agree with Jim, no need to stake them in place.    If it isn't real tight when you drive the underlug in, remove it and peen
the edges of the dovetail down slightly, go easy here, doesn't take much, but this will tighten it up.   Then drive it back
into place.   This will work UNLESS you have made the dovetail much too big, then you have another problem to deal with...........................Don

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
Jerry, I think your question was answered well.  I personally never solder them into a dovetail, but I confess to having staked a thin underllug.  I have a punch with a slightly rounded tip a little over 1/16" in dia.  I stake the barrel and lug at the same time, upsetting the metal from both into each other.  But usually, the mechanical friction of a tight fit is all that is needed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.