Author Topic: Main differences???  (Read 3646 times)

TinStar

Main differences???
« on: March 26, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
What are the main differences between Bucks County, Lehigh, and Allentown/Bethlehem rifles??

Thanks for the help!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline HIB

Re: Main differences???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Tinstar,  There is an excellent CD available which will help you determine the differences between the Bucks Co. guns and those made in the Lehigh Valley. Actually there is quite a bit of info available on the Lehigh Valley guns verse very little regarding the Bucks Co. examples. The CD mainly applies to Lehigh, Allentown and Bethlehem. Once you have the examples from the CD firmly entrenched in your mind you will have to dig thru the various available books to find examples of Bucks Co. guns by Andrew Verner, John Schuler and George Weiker. The best source is George Shumways 'Rifles of Colonial America Vol. I'. He devoted 20 pages to Bucks Co. and shows examples of the three Bucks Co. gunsmiths I make reference to.

The CD is available from the Kentucky Rifle Foundation and advertised on the KRA web site. You can order thru the mail or pick up a copy at the various affiliate KRA/CLA local shows depending on where you live. Good luck,   HIB 

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
There is overlap because they were not trying to form or adhere to schools- styles developed.  But start with furniture.  The Bucks County guards are distinctive.  With buttplates, there is overlap.  There are architectural differences.  Bucks County guns almost always have long gracefully curved wrists.  The comb nose is at or behind the rear of the guard.  Bucks county guns often have a sideplate style that is different from Lehigh guns which often have an arrowhead or pointed tail.  Bucks county guns but not Lehigh or Allentown guns may have a distinctive entry thimble with a wide and decorative skirt.  Lehigh rifles but not Bucks county rifles may have a double curve on the lower edge of the buttstock from buttplate toe to the trigger.  Lehigh or Allentown rifles may have an open nosecap; not sure how common this is on Bucks county rifles.  bucks county rifles have side opening patchboxes, Lehigh/Allentown rifles generally have a  2 piece domed brass box or sliding wooden box.  There's more.
Andover, Vermont

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
Mr Kettenberg has some discussion on his site about these features and more. Also a search thru the archives will turn uop some info too. I am a bit disappointed that there isn,t any examples of Bucks County rifles in the Museum section here. I don't know if they are scarce??????? I think they would make fine additions to the Museum!

Offline b bogart

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:41:07 AM »
I'll second that, my copy is just about worn completely out!