Author Topic: Davis Early Germanic lock-what type of gun  (Read 13944 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Davis Early Germanic lock-what type of gun
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:56 AM »
Regarding the jaeger Tom showed- I was having a senior moment, mistook it for another rifle. Sorry Jim and Stophel.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
I was wondering about that ;D  Did you think it was the Hauschka gun?  Surely somebody reading knows the gun and can fill us in on the details.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
You guys have really taken a left. LOL
One more thing my lock is not a round faced lock, it's flat.
Jim

I have used rounded off Davis jeager locks more than I have left them flat.  All it takes is a file and a little time. Let me see if I can find a picture off one.....Here 's one. I should have rounded off the pan too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:43:19 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
It's not the Hauschka gun, which is in the Metropolitan collection. It's a similar breech flare, tho. Is Hauschka from Northern Germany? One of our American smiths trained under him, if my memory is not playing tricks on me.

Mike, nice re-work of the Davis. Wowie, very inspiring.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:48:22 PM by Acer »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
Mike, nice re-work of the Davis. Wowie, very inspiring.
Thanks, I always get a kick when my mediocre work can inspire folks as talented as you.
 On the the 'ump. We traded a couple emails on this and I got busy and got behind on emails.
This quick taper at the breech is common on euro guns. All of my originals have it. I don't think it was purposely done to form an 'ump, but more the style of forgin barrels....I mean where  does the barrel reach maximum preasure? ....the back 2" of the breech, so that's where they piled on the iron. No sense in using that thickness of iron any further up the barrel. I have also noticed that quit often the 'ump is filed off the lock side so the lock panels don't flare out so far.
 I'm working with a nice 47" Getz barrel with a nice euro style 'ump or flare at the breech....too bad I can't get barrels like that  on a regular basis, John is always good with details like that. :'(
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
I would agree that the barrels were forged like that, Mike. The breech flare was probably a style that was phased out when metallurgy and welding technology improved to the point where barrels of thinner profile proofed OK.

I have not seen a Turkish barrel with this kind of breech flare. The Turkish smiths were highly esteemed for their exceptional steel/iron quality. 

I wonder if the hump/flare was a combination of cultural and practical.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
I 'spect practical. You could have a thick strong breech yet keep the weight down.
 Regardless, it's a very nice look.
 Even my low end French trade gun barrel has an extemly rapid flare at the last 2" of the breech. A feature that is completely over looked on reproducing barrels today.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »
A feature that is completely over looked on reproducing barrels today.

That is a market driven feature. I 's'pec that if we all clamored for humps in our breeches, why, the barrelmakers would jump through their hoops to supply them.

We are so caught up in the 'right' way of doing things, we often miss how the other 50% of the makers made things.

(That is a statement I should be paddy-wacked for, if there ever was one.:))