Author Topic: New Member - Brass finishing  (Read 4102 times)

fowler

New Member - Brass finishing
« on: March 25, 2011, 03:05:39 AM »
Hi all, Ran across the forum several weeks ago and am really enjoying all the tips pictures etc. I have built several ML in the past and just decided to start on Fowler that I have had for some time. I am using brass BP, SP, TG and Thimbles. Wondering how most of you are finishing the brass parts. Any suggestions will be helpful. From looking at most posted pictures, they do not appear to be polished but all seem to have an even finish.

Ray in Arizona

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: New Member - Brass finishing
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 03:57:34 AM »
Hi Ray,

Welcome aboard!  You'll get lots of methods from the folks here.  Files are where most people start, whether big for the butt piece, or small for the thimbles.  Then emery cloth with various backing (wood, file, dowel, etc.), down to 600 or so.  I usually go to about 220 with the emery cloth then finish with various grits of polishing compound, and or steel wool.  Just don't use a buffing wheel, it'll round corners where their supposed to be sharp...  Lots of "elbow grease"...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:19:23 PM »
Files and sandpaper and watch your edges or you will round them off losing definition.  Highly polished brass just doesn't seem right to my eye, and even with a smooth but not polished finish I can hardly wait for the patina to build some.  Usually a little blackpowder residue and water seems to move it along for me. 

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »
If you are looking to add some patina to them, the black powder residue mentioned works real well, cold blue can be applied and then rubbed back, or you can suspend the parts above a little bit of amonia in a covered bucket and the fumes will put some tarnish on the brass.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »
Working the brass castings down is one of the most elbow-grease intensive jobs on the gun. There is no way around it. Files, good and sharp, will make the job easier. A dull file will skate over brass, yet will still cut steel. Go figure. Get some new files and use them only for brass, if you intend to keep building rifles.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »
Scrapers work good on flat surfaces.  You can take a hacksaw blade and use the back of it.  I use a file to resharpen the edges on the back of the blade if needed.  I use a double cut file to remove surface pits in brass, then smooth cut.  Needle cut files work for small areas.
Herb

fowler

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 03:23:03 AM »
Thanks for everyones replies, very helpful. Does anyone use the scotchbrite pads as well.  Do most of  you just finish to a polish and let it wear dull over time. Ken, will the ammonia give a used finish which can be rubbed back in the high spots.  Really picking up some great information on all the various posts.

Thanks

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Yup, I use scotchbrite pads. I forget their official names but I have the green, grey, and white ones and use them a lot on the brass and steel.

It is pretty easy to rub back the dull brown you get from the amonia fume treatment. One time I forgot and left some pieces in there for several hours and they really got old! There was black and green gunk on them and I was affraid I'd ruined them. I rubbed them all back and they looked fine. I have heard some folks say that if you leave it too long in the fumes it will actually crack the surface, but I've not had that happen.