Author Topic: Got my kit today  (Read 4546 times)

newknapper

Got my kit today
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:18 AM »
Hey guys, I got my first kit today, its a Chambers Mark Silver. I hope you guys dont mind alot of questions in the future. I do have one question already. Shouldnt the slot for the trigger have been pre-inlet in the stock? The trigger guard is inlet but no slot for the trigger.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Got my kit today
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:09:58 AM »
Once the lock is in place, the trigger can be let in. The location of the sear is what determines the trigger location.

Have you got diagrams/drawings that show where all the parts go? If not, you should avail yourself of some gunbuilding books, like Chuck Dixon's book or Recreating the Kentucky Rifle.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:13:55 AM »
I'd ask Jim or Barbie. That's exactly oposite of my LH Isaac Haines kit, the trigger slot was cut, and the trigger plate was inlet, but the trigger guard required inletting.
Kunk

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:16:04 AM »
You're a long way from inletting the trigger.  Get your barrel into the channel in the correct place relative to the pan of the lock...the vent must be planned out, then the barrel can be set into the channel...may need to be moved back.  Then the tang of the breech.  Now the lock. Then the trigger and it's plate, etc.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

newknapper

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:24 AM »
You're a long way from inletting the trigger.  Get your barrel into the channel in the correct place relative to the pan of the lock...the vent must be planned out, then the barrel can be set into the channel...may need to be moved back.  Then the tang of the breech.  Now the lock. Then the trigger and it's plate, etc.

Yes I kno I am a long way frm the trigger I was just under the impression that a slot was pre cut into the stock thats all.

wetzel

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:04 AM »
NewKnapper,

Good luck on your build.  I have never had a kit from Jim Chambers so I don't know how his are supposed to be, but the one other pre inlet stock I had there was some inletting that needed to be done by me.  I wouldn't worry about it either way, the trigger is super easy to inlet when the time comes. 

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
When it comes to triggers verses trigger guards we can only inlet one, not both.  If we cut the trigger slot then we can not cut the guard because we do not know how much room your finger will require between the trigger face and the inside front on the trigger guard bow.  If, as with the Mark Silver kits, we cut the guard in, then we can not cut the trigger slot in because once again the determining factor for it's placement is the builder's finger.  All the Chambers designed kits have the trigger slot cut and all the Mark Silver designed kits have the guards inlet. 
If you ask me I'd much prefer on the Mark Silver kits to have the guards inletted rather than the trigger.  That guard is a pain to fit, the trigger is just a hole!
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

newknapper

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:39:16 PM »
Thanks for replying, I was hoping you would. The trigger hole is no problem I just wasnt sure. The kit looks great and I am tickled with it. Cant wait to get the barrel an lock so I can get started on it. How far out are the locks backordered?

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
They are being made this week, so as long as an unexpected Hog hunt doesn't pop up on LC Rice's calendar again, they should be ready next week!   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:26:57 AM »
Regarding the slot for the trigger, I think it is not done because some people like to use double set triggers, in which case
the slot would be of no benefit.     Putting that slot in for the trigger is a minor part of building the kit.   If you are worried
about that, it will be a long build...........Don