Author Topic: Rupp pipes  (Read 4499 times)

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Rupp pipes
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:07:20 AM »
Got a small dilemma.

I'm in process of my second Lehigh.  Decided to use 5/16 pipes to keep the thing as skinny as possible.  However, I'm not finding suitable pipes (flared entry pipe) per the original Rupp on RCA #1.

Any ideas out there??

Maybe I should have stayed with 3/8"??
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Rupp pipes
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:22:05 AM »
There are no commercial pipes that come close Dane, so you'll have to do some altering of plain pipes, like I did for my Rupp effort, or make your own from scratch (just as easy) as I did for the Kuntz rifle.  The first image is the Rupp followed by the Kuntz pipes.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:23:41 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »
Taylor,

This pipe forming is just something I haven't ventured in to as of yet.  The Rupp in RCA #! shows a pretty good flare on the entry pipe, and I guess I'm just not too sure how to go about the whole affair. (read chicken)
I've got some cast pipes with a flared tail, but their really short.  I was hoping to buy something commercial??

Again (read chicken)

By the way, your's are beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:57:48 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:13:21 AM »
Hi Dane, I know how you feel when it comes to making pipes as I felt the same but when I realized that the only way to get what I wanted was to make my own and the cost of materials was very little I didnt feel quite as scared. If they turned out, ok and if they didnt I was only out the very small cash outlay and some time. I would bet that if you can carve a stock you can make ramrod pipes. Best wishes  Smylee

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »
If you are going to tackle  a patchbox the pipes will be a good warmup. Dive in and challenge yourself.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline bjmac

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 07:18:54 AM »
Taylor, how about one of your fabulous tutorials on the pipe making process? (unless you've got one already) Thanks
BJ

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
Jack Brooks on this website - jsbrookslongrifles.com - has an excellent and very clear tutorial on making pipes.  Look under 'The Classroom.'  Give it a try, once you make the jigs it's real easy.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 10:04:11 PM »
Still, how to get the nice raised portions etc on the skirt of an entry thimble?  Is a turned steel mandrel the way to go?
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
In the case of the entry pipe for the Kuntz project, it is of one piece of 1/32" thick brass.  I made a forming tool out of a length of tool steel, to the shape of that bump, and hammered it into a block of hard lead.  This formed the female forming die.  I annealed the brass, having already formed the tube part of the pipe, placed the skirt over the lead block, and hammered the forming tool into the brass. It took the shape of the tools easily, and in fact, is a little bigger than the one Jacob made.  Then files and abrasive cloth to polish.  Go lightly on brass that thin.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
Taylor,
I like the way you did the hump.  Don't take this the wrong way, but it reminded me of the special tool I used for forming the skirt on an entry pipe: a 3/8" carriage bolt (for my 3/8" RR); I was goofing around trying to figure out how many strange, new tools I was going to have to make or buy, but it worked so well I never did :).  I bet if you inlet the hump profile into a block of hardwood, you could use it in a similar fashion to what you did by inserting the bolt into the pipe so that the head went where you wanted the flare/hump in the skirt, then swaging it in the block.

Dane,
In addition to all the information you have gotten from others here, there are a couple of tutorials, one on making plain pipes for Tennessee rifles by Birddog that covers the basics very well, and one labeled "Thimbles" that covers some fancier techniques.