Author Topic: How Many?  (Read 9710 times)

Offline bjmac

How Many?
« on: March 30, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Quick question for the builders...How many projects do you work on concurrently? One. two. more?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: How Many?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
I counted 7 hanging on the walls around here in various states of progress.  However, I don't think any of them have moved for almost a year now.  Work keeps getting in the way of work!   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »
One at a time - start to finish!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:33:12 PM »
Five at the moment.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
    One new build, and several restorations.  Restorations are time hogs that require dry time, rust time etc.  they can efficiently be worked in with new builds.  On a new build momentum is a desireable factor, it takes much longer to start back up than to keep going.  

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
In the past I've only worked on one, but as some of my projects become more involved, I find myself workin on several at a time.  Sometimes this is due to waiting on services to be completed, such as casting, but other times it is nice to work on a simpler project in the midst of a comlicated one.  This also helps keep the money coming in on a little more regular basis.

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
I have tried to work on more than one at a time in the past,but they never seemed to get done.Mixing parts up was a problem too.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »
One customer's rifle at a time. Repair jobs & engraving work get squeezed in right away. My own projects don't get done til everyone elses work is done. Unless like now...I am waiting on parts & services.
Tom C.

Offline bjmac

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
These replies are interesting. I find myself working on one, and planning on the next as new situations arise with it. It's hard to wait for drying, bluing, etc. and Not start another project. Thanks for the answers as I respect your opinions immensely.

westerner

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »
At least ten, maybe more. One dates from 1979.  I only work on my own rifles most of the time.  So it doesnt matter if they ever get done. There may be some I've forgotten about.  The list is in my head, somewhere. 

Joe.

wetzel

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »
It depends for me on what I have going on, but I have found working on two rifles concurrently is nice when you have to wait for something to dry, brown, ect.

camerl2009

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »
1 muzzleloader right now my double barrel flinter  :) im hoping to get it done by spring

omark

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »
my scattered mind wont allow concentrating on one thing at a time. right now im working on a jaeger, a horn, a knife, tiling the laundry room and some others my wife hasn't told me about yet.     mark                      oh, and a couple pistols
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:43:32 PM by omark west cen colo »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »
One at a time, it's difficult to keep track of parts for one, much less for 2 or 3.    I could never understand the reason to
work on more than one at a time, heck, when I start one I want to get it finished................Don

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:59:46 AM »
I tried the multiply approach but it didn't work out for me.  I found myself never accomplishing anything.  It sort of reminded me of this one time (fresh out of high school) that I went to my hunting camp in the dead of winter, at night.  The place is only heated by one fire place, one old time cook stove and two pot belly stoves.  I had a total of four fires to start to get the placed warmed up.  I thought I would multi task and get them all going at once.  Well, the only thing I did was jump around from fire to fire.  An hour later I still did not even have one fire going.
   I stick with one until it's finished.  If I can't do any work on the rifle, I make he sideplate, nosecap, etc.
                                                                                   Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Cobweb

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »

I have several projects going on at present.
Making a shuttle for my inkle loom out of hard maple, putting together a knife sheath for a neck knife my nephew forged for me and working on the loom building a strap for something!
I misread the instructions for cutting the heddles  >:(and they have ended up about twice as long as they should have been. After a little engineering  ::)  on them, I have it where it's not to bad to pass the shuttle thru.
I also have an under hammer rifle to finish, would like to redo my little .40 cal. Tennessee and find time to shoot this summer!

Cobweb
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody!

wetzel

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
What I get from this post is to find your own best way of working, some people do it one way and some another, there is no right nor wrong answer.

northmn

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
My hangup is final finishing so I am right now on 2, but they are in final stages of shaping and finishing.  I hunted with both last fall so they are shootable.

DP

JOJU

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 02:08:24 AM »
Well had 2 one time but my small mind did not handle it so well , it's one now .

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 02:41:59 AM »
I do one at a time, start to finish.  I typically won't start anything until I have everything (components) to finish the piece.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 05:52:34 AM »
I was at the younger Laubach's house one time a few years back.  He showed me 31 gonnes he had in progress. 
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 03:55:46 AM »
I have what my wife has diagnosed as "Shop ADD" better known as the "Oooo shinnies"  :D

When I go to the shop to work on one thing...  I see something else sitting there and "Oooo shiny" and I'm off on another tangent.  end up working on something entirely different! I have at least 3 gun projects, that I'm working on. Plus, as I continue to learn to use my lil X2 milling machine, I stop to make an accessory for it, or a jig to help with something else?

I keep other things going, because if I encounter a problem on one.. I can muck about on something different, until my mind works to see past the hang up.  Just seems to be what works for me??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
I definetly fall into the ADD category also, I get so easily sidetracked. My shop is so tiny I told myself I would not attempt more than one project at a time, but....,. I have one rifle 98% done and a barrel partly set in another blank and a pistol barrel bout halfway inlet and the parts to start another and some parts for another and a couple extra blanks in the rafters and a curly maple tree sawed down at the farm waiting on dryer weather to get it to the sawyer....,and...ideas for acouple more projects... the fun never ends!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA