Author Topic: Another Problem  (Read 5306 times)

rmatt

Another Problem
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
Being a new builder seems like every work session another issue comes up. I am working on a precarved stock that only had the barrel channel and ramrod groove cut, which is fine. I'm well along, having inletted all the necessary parts. I now find that the ramrod will only go into the the entry pipe a few inches and then bind. I measured the distance I need to reach the breach plug and I'm short about six inches. Is there a way to open the hole. It seems to be drilled far enough just a tad narrow. I don't have a ramrod groove/hole drill. It is for a 5/16 rod.
Thanks
Bob

dannybb55

Re: Another Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
Thin down the ramrod, Old rods were tapered gradually with scrapers like a fishing rod. A piece of broken glass will serve.

Scott Semmel

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
Go to shop made tools fourth page the post "ramrod hole scraper".  I made one out of mild steel and was able to move a hole in hard as heck curly Ash with it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
6" is a little too far to be hitting your forward lock bolt, or is that a possibility.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
I would be inclined to think that the ram rod entry pipe is the culprit. A quick test would be to un pin the entry pipe and slide the ramrod home. If the entry pipe is proud of the for stock then the pipe is inlet alittle to deep and the hole must be deepend at the entry pipe to match. The scraper mentioned will work very well for this. if the ramrod with out the entry pipe will pass all the way down to the hole bottom and it passes easily through the entry pipe  you only need to inlet the entry pipe a little deeper at the back end of the pipe. It can also be improved by filing off the back end of the entry pipes tab end tube section just a little as well as using a rat tail file to thin the inside bottom of the tab side of the tube. Getting a ramrod drill will make life the simplest. They are only $34 bucks at TOW and are well worth the investment
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »
rmatt,

Before running a drill in there, I'd first remove the barrel and drill a small ~3/32" "check hole" back near the breech end into the rod hole. Then with a depth gauge check the position of the rod hole. You sure don't want to run a drill out through the fore stock.

Another possibility is that you have wood shavings/chips/sanding dust packed back in the rear end of the rod hole. Happens often.

Good luck with it.

Ted K

Meteorman

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »
Getting a ramrod drill will make life the simplest. They are only $34 bucks at TOW and are well worth the investment

+1 on that advice.

I had your exact same issue, rmatt, on my first 3 builds with PR precarves.
I fiddled, fudged, filed, and confabilated with my entry pipe till I couldn't stop cussin at it, never made much difference.
went and made a 3/8" RR drill (took about $10 & 10 minutes if you can MIG weld, or have a buddy who can.)
a quick pass with the RR drill in the precarve RR hole cleaned up the hole slightly and my RRs go in smooth and snug now.

RR hole clean-out drill  (this twist bit-type not good for drilling the initial hole I'm told).
(1) line up the pieces (bit and round stock - all right in Lowes/HD) in channel
(2) tack 'em together
(3) clean up the weld and make sure she's all straight.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 01:32:44 AM »
You could also   be hitting your first barrel tennon. Its something to check.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
Meteor Man has the answer - I made up several long shank drills like that 30 yrs. ago and use them continually to drill the RR hole with never a problem - they drill as straight as an arrow every time!  Mine are 1/2", 3/8", 5/16" X 50" long - the secret is to keep each cutting flute sharp as possible.  If one flute is dull and the other sharp the drill will wander and you will have a hole where you do not want it!  Also keep the longitudinal flutes clean be withdrawing often and blowing out the chips.   Otherwise the bit will bind and throw off your hole or break through some place that causes @#$%^&@@#*!
Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:34:59 AM »
Point the muzzle end of the stock down and gently tap the side of the stock with the palm of your hand.  Sometimes there's shavings, chips etc. that get in the ram rod hole.  After that, I'd just taper the ram rod.  You'd be surprised how skinny some ram rods are...

Ed
Ed Wenger

rmatt

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »
Guys
I really appreciate all the replies. Anyone of the conditions mentioned could have been the problem. I eliminated all the suggestions one at a time, excluding the scraper and making a long drill and still had the situation. So, utlizing what I had in the house, I put my worm patch puller on a range rod(thinking that there could be some packed chips/sawdust5 in the hole) and gently turned the assembly. About a dozen trys and I'm up to where the end of the breech plug is located. Many minds make problems easier especially for one that is just getting his feet wet in this disease. Many thanks again to all.
Bob