Author Topic: Patch box depth  (Read 4890 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Patch box depth
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:12:39 AM »
I'm about to start an early Lancaster Dickert style rifle. Are there any guidelines on how deep to cut a patchbox, was there an average or not? I've never had a chance to examine riginials, and  the few photos I've seen of open patchboxes are pretty vague. Also were the boxes squared off on the corners or were the left round from the drill bits? On the six rifles I've built till now, I have made the box an inch deep, most have had the ends rounded from the drill bits.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Patch box depth
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
Snickers bar must fit inside.  Don't make them so deep they come out the other side though.  1" seems fine to me.  I never really measure.
Andover, Vermont

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
Type of drill bit used, square vs rounded corners and size are three things to consider.

Maybe the Tool Collectors can answer when the modern bit came into use, i.e. the bit with the little screw point lead. For an early gun I'd use a Forstner bit to rough out, then finish with hand tools to cover up your machine work.

Four old guns I examined were:
1. Attributed John Haga, Lancaster County, daisey head patchbox. 11/16" deep x 1-1/8 wide x 3-1/4" long. NO bit holes showing, he used the older style bit to rough out. All four corners square.
2. Attributed Shroyer, York County. 15/16" deep, 3/4" wide x 3-5/8" long. Bit holes show. Front end of box square, butt end somewhat rounded.
3. Henry Deringer. 9/16" deep, 7/8" wide x 3" long. Bit holes all show. Butt end of box full round, i.e. same radius as bit used to rough out.
4. Late flint rifle, location unknown: 9/16" deep, 5/8 x 2" long, both ends full round, bit holes show. 2" long cavity considerably smaller than lid.   

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
It's starting to look like I thought, anything goes. Like I said I tend to go about an inch, I use a forstner bit which only leaves a pin hole in the flat bottom. I usually use a 1" bit and hog down the wood with about 4 or five holes and then smooth out the sides leaving the ends the bit diameter.

Any other input?

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »
Micah:   I've seen old originals with the inner corners left round and also square it is your choice.  Either way is correct.  1" deep sounds about right for depth.  Again there is no set standard.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
Micah,
This is how Dickert did it on an 1800-ish rifle.

From the butt plate to the hinge; 4"
Length of the cavity; 3 1/4"
Width of cavity; 1 1/16"
Depth of cavity; 11/16"
Snickers bar won't fit!
Square corners and no drill holes in the bottom of the cavity.

An early rifle might be a bit different.

John

John Robbins

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
The judges at Dixons like them deep so that would be an item if you intend to attend and enter!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
Dickert needs to see more original work.  Ha!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
Thanks John. I really appreciate the photos they're great, that's what I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:35:38 PM by Micah »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
I always make them as deep as the rifle design will allow.  I figure if I am going to all the trouble to make a patchbox, then it out to be a big as possible.  And yes, I use them on my rifles.
DMR