Author Topic: Duplicating a Stock  (Read 4685 times)

Shadow Man

Duplicating a Stock
« on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:52 AM »
First post, guys, so don't beat me up too badly!

I have a Traditions Pennsylvania .50 rifle that has special meaning to my family. I've laser-etched a lot of designs and messages on the brass (butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod thimbles, etc.) in memory of my brother Mark. I have never been happy with the plain walnut stock that came with the rifle though. So, I bought a beautiful, curly maple precarved blank from Ott at Gunstocks Plus with the intention of replacing the walnut stock.

Both the stock and rifle are in South Dakota at my mom's home. I live in Hawaii. I don't know when I'm going to get time to work on this project and would like to keep it moving forward.

Does anyone know a company that can duplicate this stock for me? Or would it be better to just wait until I have the the time and skills to do it myself.

Notes on the stock... it's rough-carved, the barrel channel and ramrod hole are both cut.

Thanks,
Shadow Man

Ron Brimer

Re: Duplicating a Stock
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:59:48 AM »
Sorry to say I think you might be in trouble duplicating your stock. From the plank might be the only way  you can go . Others might know if any one will do it, I fear it will be costly . The set up is really a big factor. good luck.
         RON B

Shadow Man

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:07:14 AM »
Thanks, Ron.

Shadow Man

billd

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 02:54:35 AM »
What do you mean by "precarved blank" ?   If it's just a blank then you have to send it along with the original stock to someone like Knob Mountain.   If it's precarved then it's just a matter of hiring someone to finish it.

Is the barrel channel in and the stock shaped?

Bill
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:59:32 AM by Bill D »

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:03:45 AM »
Call or e-mai l Dave Keck at http://www.knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/

He bought Fred Millers equipment and I bet he could figure out a way to do it.  As far as the barrel channel already being cut I would think wood could be made up to fit the channel then glued in place....you are not going to reuse that stock again anyway.

just MHO.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Ron Brimer

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
I may have confused the answer ,  as Bill said, is it a pre carved  stock meaning shaped like a gun? if so, like Bill said some one can help you finish it, or put it together for you,  If it is not shaped , along piece of wood with RR and BBL run, call D Keck as JD said. what worries me is the BBL channel , would it effect his pantograph. years ago I had FAJAN do a ML stock from my old stock. They charged for the setup. And it cost a lot more than the pre carves on the market at that time. I have delt with D Keck, his work is VERY good. If you could post a pic let the guys see  it, every one will know what direction to go with your "pre carved blank" A little more info, a lots of brains to pick.

Shadow Man

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
Sorry for the confusion guys. I do appreciate your help.

The rifle and stock are in South Dakota, so I don't have them handy right away for pictures. Best I can explain is that the precarved stock has the barrel channel cut and the ramrod hole drilled. The fore-end section of the rifle looks like a 2x2 with a barrel channel cut on one side and the ramrod hole on the other. The butt end of the stock has a rough "monte carlo" shape with plenty of wood for a high comb, cheekpiece, carving etc. but you can clearly see the wrist of the stock.

I was thinking (perhaps very naively!) that the original rifle and the precarved stock could be dropped onto a duplicator and the precarved stock brought very close to the dimensions of the original. Hence, moving the stock-making process forward by getting the exterior of the stock closer to finish.

Thanks again and sorry for the time-gap in postings.

Shadow Man

billd

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »
If the barrel channel is already cut it will be very hard to duplicate the stock on a machine like Dave's.  The stock is shaped first then the barrel channel is done last.   
Hang around here for a while.   I'm sure others have different ideas and will chime in. 
Bill

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
 as long as your  pre carved blank is  over sized , a 1 off duplicator  like a Gemini , it wouldn’t be that hard to duplicate  your existing traditions stock   even with the barrel channel cut . .
  Blocks  would have to be epoxy  in the barrel channels in for the  front centers . High speed shaping burrs would have to be used instead of  router bits  or you  could have issues with chip out along the barrel channel . .

My question though   is why duplicate the traditions stock  ?.
 If your going to restock it , now would be a good time to   have someone inlet your parts into a much  nicer stock design . Thus you would end up with a much slimmer  and IMO much nicer rifle .

Shadow Man

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:58:59 AM »
<My question though   is why duplicate the traditions stock?
<If your going to restock it, now would be a good time to  have someone inlet your parts into a much  nicer stock design . Thus you would end up with a much slimmer and IMO much nicer rifle.>

GOOD POINT! Definitely a positive there.

Shadow Man