Author Topic: What thickness do you leave under the ramrod hole in the forearm?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

What thickness do you try to leave under the ramrod hole, and is it pretty much constant all the way to the wrist? 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: What thickness do you leave under the ramrod hole in the forearm?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
I shoot for 1/8" but many times end up with as little as 1/16" of wood between the hole and the bottom of the stock.  So, somewhere between the two would be good.  On a lot of guns, the line from the beginning of the bow of the trigger guard rearward begins to drop away from the line parallel to the bottom of the lower forend, in an increasing curve at least to the end of the trigger guard.  From there, some stocks are flat bottomed, like a Lancaster, some have a continuing curve right to the butt plate, like Bucks Co. and Lehigh Co rifles, in fact increasing in arc rearward, and some have a slight perch belly like a Hawken.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
Not to steal the thread but does anyone else sometimes use the lug on the guard as a stop for the ramrod?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
I go for 1/8" at the breech.  The muzzle ends up 1/8" or 3/16" or even 1/4", depending upon the barrel (smaller muzzle=thicker web).

Yes Rich, I also like, if possible, to butt the ramrod against the triggerguard tenon.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:01:43 AM »
I'll try to get this thread back on track  ( Rich) ;)

Just a hair over 1/16 under the entry pipe finial on my Lehigh project with jut a bit more a it gets closer to the breech. Many pictures of originals worn through to the RR , it's clear there wan't much wood there. Looks to me like Lehigh's in particular didnt have much step down on the entry pipe / finial connection therefore not allowing a lot of wood under the RR. 

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:28:09 AM »
$#@*, UNDER the ramrod.....

Sorry.
I like 1/8" there....

;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
My forestocks are all tapered forward - in other words I like the thickness at the RR entry hole to be 1/16" and it gets a little thicker to 1/8" as you get back to the triggerguard.   That way you have a little more meat to inlet the forward extension of the triggerguard into.   That's how I do it,  ;)   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

northmn

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
About 1/8 inch.  The ramrod entry pipe kind of acts as a guide.

DP