Author Topic: Opinions on hammer cup too far down on the nipple  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Opinions on hammer cup too far down on the nipple
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »
One on the bench now that I got working after some 'adjustments'.  The hammer is too low on half draw (does not clear the nipple 'tip' far enough to cap w/o pulling the hammer back 'some'.  I will probably deepen said cup and file back it's edges and maybe shorten the nipple shaft enough to get clearence.  Tempting to just let her go as is on this Davis lock.  This could be inconvienent at the very least to a shooter to cap her.   Suggestions??   Yeah, yeah I know build a flinter and then no problems with her plumbing... ::)

I should add that this rifle will be meant for line shooting use and w walks rather than hunting, so the idea is that the rifle will be capped while on the line with her muzzle down range.  So, she will not be meant for walking around in the bush with her capped..  Of course the next owner may have other plans..on down the pike. ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:22:19 AM by Roger Fisher »

Offline JDK

Re: Opinions on hammer cup too far down on the nipple
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:49:46 AM »
I picked up hand built from the 1960's-70's (read pre kit) that is patterned after a midwest style long rifle.  It was built on an origonal bar lock and had the same feature.  I have not done what you are sugesting because it does not appear that the hammer will align right after to get a full and good strike on the cap.  I am careful how I cap it and use two hands.  The plus side is that caps never fall off as they are trapped inside the cup.

J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:45:34 AM »
I prefer to have the nipple (and cap) covered at half cock to protect them while carrying.

Codger

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
I've two percussion squirrel rifles, first build has the hammer about 1/8" above the nipple . Second one built later I made sure the hammer covered the cap with safe clearance, for the reasons Ben mentioned.
Was afraid the cap might fall off even though it fits well. Just my 2 cents worth, not sure which is proper. :-\
Don

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »
I've had this happen on more than a few rifles I have built. On the rifles that were used mainly for hunting it was a plus but as you have noticed when using that rifle on the target range it is a P.I.T.A. What I did -- and you probably don't want to hear this -- is I made a new tumbler and re-cut the hammer positions on the tumbler. You can also re-position your hammer on the tumbler by plugging the square hole in the hammer and re-cutting it to the position you want. Just my 2-cents worth.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JDK

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:23 AM »
Or buy a new hammer that has not been drille yet and then you have two!

J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:01:55 AM »
I've had this happen on more than a few rifles I have built. On the rifles that were used mainly for hunting it was a plus but as you have noticed when using that rifle on the target range it is a P.I.T.A. What I did -- and you probably don't want to hear this -- is I made a new tumbler and re-cut the hammer positions on the tumbler. You can also re-position your hammer on the tumbler by plugging the square hole in the hammer and re-cutting it to the position you want. Just my 2-cents worth.
Yes, you are right I don't want to hear that.   ;D  After considering the question she will be completed w/o nutzing with that item..