Author Topic: blank layout  (Read 3261 times)

Offline coopersdad

blank layout
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »
I've been lurking here for several years and attempting to absorb all I can.  I am finally, after a long layoff, starting another build and this is likely the first of many pleas for help.   It will be a Lancaster/Haines style with a .54 Rice C wt.  barrel.   I began to lay out my pattern on the blank, and I see the grain is less than optimal in the wrist area, and not at all in the toe, no matter how I lay it out.    I came up with several options and none of them look great.   Can I get away with this?  Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!

Layout option 1, grain kind of squirrely at the wrist, but as far forward as I can get it on the blank and away from the cross grain:

Option 2, I think the worst one for cross grain and a split wrist?:

And option 3, which I'm thinking is kind of a tie with 1:

Mike Westcott

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: blank layout
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:28:23 AM »
It seems you have a slab sawn blank.   I think what you are interpreting as a bad grain direction is just the arches created from the growth rings emerging from the side of the blank.  You must look very close to see the direction of the fine pores.  Since your blank is slab sawn, I'm sure it will be fine no matter the layout.  In short, don't worry about any potential grain problems.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:42:15 AM »
If you still feel unsure about the layout you could send it off to Dave Keck and he will put it in the most advantagous position and inlet that swamped barrel too.  Smylee

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:54:38 AM »
I'm in agrement with the both posts. . The blank is board or plank cut should present no problem. I just recieved a stock from David Keck  and requested plank cut stock ani I couldnt be happier,. Bob

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 03:01:26 AM »
It is a slab sawn blank. It's been a while since I worked with maple.  I looked much closer and see what you mean and it doesn't appear I'll have any issues.   I've done two straight barrels but never a swamped one.  I guess my pride is making me want to know I can at least do one before I send any future ones out.  I'll likely be wishing otherwise the next few weeks, but it'll get done!  Thank you for the replies!
Mike Westcott

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
The fun part of this hobby is you learn so much. I never knew about the what the different cuts of wood meant until I started building from a blank. Now how the blank is cut is the first thing I look at and the curl is second.

I love working from a blank, you really learn about building a rifle if you do all the work from start to finish.

It is nice working from with a pre-inlet barrel and ramrod and it is a sure time savor but until you have done enough by hand to know what is supposed to be where and how come, you are doing yourself a disservice by having others do these few very important steps.
So keep your pride, you will learn much more.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:34:29 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"