Author Topic: Mini Sanding blocks  (Read 4240 times)

greybeard

Mini Sanding blocks
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:46 AM »
This is old stuff but perhaps some of the members will benefit..   I dont like fingernail boards as for me they are too coarse so this is what I do'.
Cintact cement . Throw away brush , block if wood (cedar is good) , sandpaper grit of your choice.

Iuse 2 coats on the wood & one coat on the sandpaper,

Note the big old chisel

Hack away and you can get any shape you wish

Make a few of these in various grtis to keep on the shelf and cut whatever shape you need with a chisel

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:56:44 AM by greybeard »

Offline rick landes

Re: Mini Sanding blocks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »
I find a paint stir stick works well too!
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

wetzel

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
Thanks Greybeard for the post.  It may be an old topic to some but I am very early on my path of gun building and thus don't know much.  Treasures like this are great!  I am going to make me up a couple of these sanding blocks.

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:21:43 AM »
In case you missed it here is a good siurce if small sanding blocks.  BOB

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:44:56 AM »
Great idea.   Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

I also have done the same with tongue depressers from time to time.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
Another alternative is to buy the really high grade sanding paper from an automotive paint store. It is available in several grits and is an extremely durable paper that dose not  load much.  The neat part is that it has its own adhesive. You just cut it to size and attach to whatever block you have. Sand until worn and then peel off. It is expensive but is some of the best stuff I have used. I use is for polishing barrels as well as wood sanding.

Calaloo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:33:25 PM »
Norton 3X sand paper is the very best I have found. The local Lowes doesn't stock it but Home Depot does. I use strips of wood ~3/8 thick and glue the paper to them. It is amazing how long it lasts. The 60 grit makes a wonderful rasp. If you haven't used it, try it, I guaranee you will like it.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:06:59 PM by Calaloo »

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
Norton 3X.   I'll file that in my memory bank   Thanks   Bob

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:19 AM »
Norton 3-X and auto body repair grade sandpaper ... GREAT SUGGESTIONS ... THANKS !!!   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.