Author Topic: Keeping Ptach Box closed while hunting  (Read 11501 times)

Jeff Peters

Keeping Ptach Box closed while hunting
« on: October 22, 2008, 02:48:59 PM »
A question for the wise ones out there.
While hunting the early Muzzle loader opener here in Pa. over the weekend I noticed that my patch box sprung open. It happened during the predawn walk to my stand while going through brush etc. I always kept my cleaning jag, ball puller, etc in there. When I got to my stand I noticed they were gone. Luckily I back tracked and found them.
The rifle is an early Lancaster with the release on the top of the but plate.
For the rest of the hunt I just put the jag etc in my possibles bag.

I know this has had to happen to someone else and I'm curios to see how you have solved the problem

Jeff

Offline George Sutton

Re: Keeping Ptach Box closed while hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
I've had a number of rifles over the years. I never keep anything in the patchbox. I have some that are trustworthy and will never spring open and I have others that will spring open if you brush them against small branches while hunting. Sliding patchboxes IMHO are best for reliable locking.

Centershot

Online Longknife

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:27:29 PM »
Jeff, Check to make sure the latch "hook" is cut right and not worn. Also more spring tension may be needed to keep it closed. OR a rubber band around the stock may work. ( made of goats intestines to be PC)....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
Lower button, stiffer spring, better latch.
If its easy to open its too easy to open.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »
It depends on how the opener for the latch is positioned also. I have one that many times if I sit the butt of the gun on my toe, the patch box will open. Because of that, I carry nothing in it. I also keep watching it, in case it opens, I don't bend or spring it.

Ephraim

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
On my rifles with a brass patch box I pull an old wool sock over the stock and tie it in place keeps the box lid closed and won't glair also protect the stock you might try that.
Ephraim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:58:57 PM by Ephraim »

R. Hare

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:26:46 PM »

I think Dphariss says it best,
Better to fix it than live with it.....if you live with it, it'll always be a source of annoyance to you!

Richard.

roundball

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
Judging from the posts so far, I guess duct tape is out of the question...
 ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:30:16 PM by roundball »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »
If Jeff uses duct tape on that Lancaster we'll send Tony and Vinnie after his knee caps! :o

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
Nothing wrong with duct tape for hunting, as long as you use the camo tape, not the shiney silver stuff. ::) Maybe your NMLRA address stickers would work. Hey, I've seen people leave gunshow inspection stickers all over their nice longrifles. ???
Tom C.

HistoricalArmsMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 12:51:22 AM »
Okay guys....this is a contemporary fix to keep from losin the contents...stand back.... a customer asked me several years ago if I could attach a small screw plate into his patchbox so he could screw in his jag, scraper and puller. I thought that was a neat idea, so I made one and installed it. Harder to do than I thought when I took it on, but it turned out neat.
I've done an improved version a time or two, each time fixes a previous vex, always works though! (Quit laughin-I said it was contemporary didn't I?)
Susie

Offline alex e.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 02:24:31 AM »
I've had a number of rifles over the years. I never keep anything in the patchbox. I have some that are trustworthy and will never spring open and I have others that will spring open if you brush them against small branches while hunting. Sliding patchboxes IMHO are best for reliable locking.

Centershot

Especially once the moisture swells it shut. :) ;) :D
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »
I put a black stretch sock over my buttstock when hunting and tape it in place. All you need to do is put tape around the front of the sock at the wrist. This protects the stock, camouflages the patch box and keeps your stuff safe in the box.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

BuffaloGun

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:09 AM »
I never carry anything in my patchbox because I worry about it rattling about.
I make enough noise on my own.

R. Hare

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »
 Tow for cleaning the bore acts as padding in the patchbox, and stops things rattling about.
The tow is springy and soft, and your ball puller cleaning worm, etc can be squashed down into it and stay quiet and snug in there.
This doesn't help much when the woods are like cornflakes though!

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
R.Hare- good one - was waiting for the noisy bush post.  Of course, there are noises that are natural and noises that aren't natural.
: I sometimes carry a spare flint and leather wrapp in my patch box, but since those things are in the possibles bag, why bother with anything when hunting? Empty is a good way to keep it as far as I'm concerned.  A piece of soft flannel in the bag could handle field cleaning if that's necessary - I can't figure out why anyone would want to clean the bore when in the field. I have a friend who uses tow for cleaning his rifles, never seems to take them apart as we do - looks interesting, but I prefer not to collect the rust around the lock and vent area that seems to accompany his rifles.

Jeff Peters

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas.
My first thought was a rubberband. I know Rodgers buddies would rough me up good if I used duct tape.
I always put soft cleaning patches around the jag, worm and ball puller etc.to keep them from Rattling. In fact that made it easier to find them when I saw the white patches. I think I bumped a tree with the button and didn't realize it until later.

Susie,
I would like to explore your Threaded plate Idea... I just don't know if I can get the depth, my cleaning jag would be to long to fit.

PS I forgot to mention the rifle worked fine, dropped a nice adult doe.
I was out with another fellow who I'm trying to get started with Flint. He was using my old trusty Thompson Center. The poor fellow had a nice doe within 20 yards and forgot to pull the hammerback, and pulled the set trigger, click, the doe just stood there. then he pulls the hammer back, click, she's still standing there, then the set trigger again, click, she took off. Needless to say I have to get him out practicing more, he didn't do to bad at the range, I think he was just a bit nervous, he only ever shot one deer.
He's already talking about getting his own flinter.

Jeff

Mike R

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
Fix the latch, but like some others said I don't carry tools in my patchbox--sometimes a few patches, rarely a vent pick.  Tools go in the shooting pouch.  I have seen one old original whose patchbox contain two paper cartridges for quick follow-up shots.  As for needing patches in the field, of course I do.  One uses them for shooting and swabbing. Yep, by golly, I swab between shots when I have the time and by necessity when the loading gets too tight.  It appears to be a modern obsession to find the right lube/method to allow shooting X number of times without swabbing.  Each to his own.  Audabon described a hunt with the aging Dan'l Boone ca. 1810 in which he said that ol' Dan'l swabbed between shots.  Good enough for the old master...

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 03:00:00 AM »
All good ideas!  I like the sock thing.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 06:18:04 AM »
QUESTION   
  if you don't put anything in the patchbox, what is it for??
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

R. Hare

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
Jerry,

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Jim Thomas

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 04:53:26 PM »
Maybe the judges at Dixons should focus a little more on the patchbox release than on the depth of the mortise? 

My snickers bar melts in my pocket.  It's staying in the patchbox. ;D

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
QUESTION   
  if you don't put anything in the patchbox, what is it for??
;
; Why, it's for appearance, Jerry - sheesh!  Some day i may want to put something in there - or - when at rondy, I have a spare flint and leather in the box along with ear plugs. Then, it has a purpose other than looking pretty and scaring the deer away.