Author Topic: Finished my winter project.  (Read 5052 times)

razor62

Finished my winter project.
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »

Allen Boxlock action from Petaconica River. Semi inlet / semi-fancy walnut also from Peticonica. Barrel is a .58 cal with a fast R.O.T. from Numerich Arms that I bought 20 years ago in new condition for $25.00 . Most of the remaining parts are from Track of The Wolf.

I fell in love with this action the first time that I laid eyes on it. So, now I've got a nice hunting rig built around that action. I'm no professional at this stuff so there are a few "whoopsies" that I'll be keeping to myself but all in all I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out. Haven't fired it yet. I did proof the barred action prior to final fit, finish and assembly. First with a heavy TC hunter atop 120 grains of Goex FFG followed by two more shots with the same bullet over 150 grains. She digested those loads with no ill effects. Hopefully she'll group well enough to hunt whitetails here in New England.

Let me know what you think...?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Finished my winter project.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Very nice, clean work!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
Very nice! There's something that appeals in a boxlock. It's he same sort of esthetic that shows in a lot of the old singleshot actions. I'd be proud to hunt with such a fine piece of work.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »
Very nice indeed.  Many years ago I had  a gun by G P Foster Bristol Rhode Island with the same action with a sheet iron forend.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
Beautiful work!!   You hid your "whoopsies" quite well!!  How much does it weigh?? 

120 grains and 150 grains!!! :o :o   Wow I would be out of commission for a week shooting those cannon loads...I only use 85 grains of fffg in my .62 with a PRB and it gets my attention!!  If I shoot one of our little whitetails here in GA with that big of a load ther would likely be nothin left for the processor!! ;D ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
I like it. I think I would have went with a shotgun buttplate....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

razor62

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Tim, I didn't shoot those loads off my shoulder. I took the barreled action out to an old blow down that was angling into the forest floor and lashed the action to it with the muzzle aiming safely down toward the ground. Then I pulled the trigger with a string while hiding behind a large swamp maple.  I figured a max load of 75-80 grains for normal hunting of whitetails so I was looking to proof the gun with roughly twice that maximum.
I haven't put her on a scale but I'd guess she'll weigh in at 11 lbs or so. Definitely not a walk around the woods all day kinda' rifle. Originally I imagine a rifle like this one would have been at home shooting bison from the window of a steam locomotive.

Mike, I gave the shotgun buttplate some thought but I've always been the type to sacrifice function in favor of  appearance. I simply liked the look of the crescent buttplate better. I know I'll regret it someday when I touch off a rushed shot at a deer with the point of that buttplate nestled dead center in my bicep.  OUCH!!!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
Very very nice rifle!!  I am impressed with the fit of the hammer to the nipple, and the way it reaches down over the fence, offering maximum protection to the shooter.  Well finished rifle.  Great hunter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:12 AM »
 I like your gun too, it al looks so harmonious, like each part was born to be with every other part.
 May I ask what the barrel measures accross the flats and how long it is.
Okieboy

razor62

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
Thanks to all for your feedback. Compliments mean allot when they come from folks who know what they're looking at. It means an awful lot to me and you all have my sincerest thanks.