Author Topic: Pin Drill  (Read 3328 times)

DFHicks

Pin Drill
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:21:36 AM »
There was a reference in one comment recently ( I forget the subject title) about using a pin drill to drill the holes for barrel lug & trigger guard tab pins.  I had never heard of a pin drill before , so I did a search.  The pictures showed what seemed to be a small chuck and the description  indicated a free wheeling handle.  So I guess how they work is by hand spinning the chuck and body while holding and pushing on the handle.  My question is how well do they work? I know that skill is the key in doing any task but do pin drills have any advantages for the above jobs?
Thanks

Offline T*O*F

Re: Pin Drill
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:20:19 AM »
My question is how well do they work?
I don't know if anyone besides me uses one, but it's all I use.  Pin drills don't wander or bend like they do in a drill.  The key to drilling a straight hole is to drill from both sides and have them meet in the middle.  That way the outsides are where you want them.

I precisely locate the holes on each side and stab them straight down with an icepick.  Then I drill the holes to the metal.  Then using a power drill, I drill thru the metal from each side and into the opposing hole.  Works fine for me.  I can't ever get a straight hole using power tools.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 07:22:22 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
I like your jig. I was wondering how it would work with a power drill?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
I was wondering how it would work with a power drill?
It won't.  It enlarges the holes in the plexi and the chips get sucked up into the hole, causing  the bit to bind, overheat, and melt the plastic.  It's more of a locating device, but can work with the pin drill if you clamp it to the barrel.

I was going to make these to sell but drilling all the holes proved problematic.  Took 2 hours apiece to make them....after I found the right lube, several snatched bits, and melted plastic.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »
I use a pin drill with one of Tom Snyder's drill fixtures.  I locate the hole positions and prick them with a scratch awl or finishing nail to form a site for the drill fixture to seat and then use the pin drill to drill the hole by hand.  It give much more control than an eggbeater drill or drill press. With a little more finger pressure and a sharp drill bit you can also drill barrel lugs or the lugs on trigger guards.  I use a 1/16" drill and can open the holes to 5/64" for my final pin size.

DFHicks

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:15:15 AM »
Thanks for the information and pictures T*O*F.  It certainly looks like the pin drill would work better with 1/16" drill bits than a regular drill.  Also you mentioned opening the pin holes up to 5/64" after putting them in at 1/16.  This would probably eliminate loose pins as mentioned in a recent thread.  It's so easy to wobble the drill a little when drilling by hand & eye giving a slightly over sized hole.

huckfinn

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 03:09:44 AM »
I was always impressed with the foxfire 5 book that shows the gunsmith drilling a hole in a stock with a bow type drill.  It got me to start thinking that a drill should run forward and then in reverse to clear the chips properly.  I think that improves the accuracy of the hole.  I like the pin drill for the same reasons.  You can also "feel" where the drill bit is going.  You can't do that with a power drill.