Author Topic: INLETTING ENTRY PIPE  (Read 6001 times)

Offline hortonstn

INLETTING ENTRY PIPE
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
what is the correct method to inlet the entry pipe, i'm haveing an unusual amount of trouble
for some resaon this is on a golden age lancaster
ypur help would be appreciated
paul

Offline Dave B

Re: INLETTING ENTRY PIPE
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
What is the shape of the forearm? Is it Square or shaped to an oval to almost the finished dimension? If its square, shape that baby down to the almost finished dimension  I have never liked working on a square fore end for my entry pipe inlet. the placement of the pipe should be right at the transition of the step, just far enough to allow for the wood to cover the pipe transition from the tang to the round pipe. If your happy with the placement then  inlet just the tab of the pipe. In a perfect world the tab inlet on the center line of the ramrod channel will result in the entry pipe being perfectly aligned with the fore stock axis with out any drift. It may require some tweeking to get the axis of both where they are all ligned up. The front of the pipe is next marked and the rest of the front of the pipe is inlet. You should start to get the tang section contacting the fore stock as you do this and start to inlet the rest of the tang. You work it down removing wood as the inlet black  shows the high points. Most tabs on your comercial pipes are too wide to properly inlet all the way with out them bottoming out on the barrel if you measure your web thick ness and cut away the exess metal from the tab it will save you some frustration as to why the pipe isnt going any deeper. I have my web space at 3/16" to an 1/8 so no need to have that tab be any higher. I use lamp black mixed with old motor oil  for my inletting and a little goes a long way. So thats HOw I to it.  Good luck with yours
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »
When the entry pipe is the same as the upper pipes but with a tang, I inlet an upper pipe in the entry pipe location, inlet it upside down so I can handle it by the tab. Once that pipe is inlet, I then inlet the actual entry pipe but now, I only have the tang to inlet as the pipe portion is already done. Similar principle to inletting the barrel first and then installing the breach plug and inletting the tang.

Meteorman

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »
what is the correct method to inlet the entry pipe, i'm haveing an unusual amount of trouble

"having an unusual amount of trouble" IS the method I use every time !
easily the most frustrating part of a build for me.
don't know if your symptom is "it won't sit flush" or "it looks OK but the ramrod still binds".
I had both pains, but if your issue is the latter, and you're using a pre-carve, cleaning up the RR hole might solve it.
I use a homemade long-shank 3/8" twist drill and no more RR binding at the entry pipe.
/mike

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
Letting in the RR rear pipe is all about 'attitude'.

Not YOUR attitude, but the tilt, yaw and roll of the pipe itself. I take care of the tilt as I let it in by slipping in a snug piece of dowel into the pipe, about 8" long. This tells me that I'm letting in level and straight with the RR groove... it's instantly visible if it's out of kilter. When I think I have the right depth, I slip a loose rod in the pipe to see if it will go thru the pipe and enter the drilled hole OK.

The skirt of the pipe will determine the shape of the grip, how much wood is on the forestock between the pipe and lock, and the shape of it. SInce the pipe is thin, it is often easy to bend it out of shape accidentally while inletting. It can also bend left or right. You must keep an eye on this bugger as you progress toward home position.

After ten or twenty of these inlets, you'll get more comfortable with it. But I have to say that after many years, it is still one of the toughest parts to let in properly in my opinion.

You're not alone in your frustration.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:01:06 PM by Acer »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
Hi Tom,
It is comforting to know, that an old dog has troubles with some tasks.  ( inletting entry pipes )
As today I still cringe at the thought of entry pipe & butt plate inletting, even after all these years.
I do hope that in future guns these tasks come easier to you! ;D

The is the best part of this great past time is " I did it! "
Best regards

Fred
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:50:48 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:23:51 PM »
Entry pipes are the one job that make me wish my degestive system could tolerate alchohol.

I inlet the entry, then the other two. Then I clamp them all in place good and tight and slide a ram rod down all the way to make sure everything is aligned just right. Then, after I adjust the entry so everything is groovey, I pin them.

greybeard

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
I always considered the entry pipe the A H*&# of the gun but I have just spent 2 days on a butt plate and now I am rethinking the whole thing.   Bob

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
Hi Tom,
It is comforting to know, that an old dog has troubles with some tasks.  ( inletting entry pipes )
As today I still cringe at the thought of entry pipe & butt plate inletting, even after all these years.
I do hope that in future guns these tasks come easier to you! ;D

The is the best part of this great past time is " I did it! "
Best regards

Fred

Yes Old  Ford.  The "I did it"  is the reward

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
thank all of you that have took the time to try to help me, i do understand i'm not alone in this venture. i now have it inletted and looking good, but now the ram rod binds and hits the side if the rr hole under the tab, i think i'll run a drill bit in it and hope for the best......
paul

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
Paul, you have discovered the secret reason for tapered ramrods :-)
kind regards, heinz

greybeard

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
Good morning Heinz.   Bob

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
 I think if you try Cody's method you will find things much easier. It is the only way I have ever done them.

Tim C.