Author Topic: Gunshop floor  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Cody Tetachuk

Re: Gunshop floor
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 05:08:11 AM »
Hey Tim, I can help you from right here. Here's what you do. Just tie a stout rope to the bandsaw, run it up the stairs and out the nearest door (hopefully there's one right at the top of the stairs but not necessary). Tie the other end to the bumper of the ol' wagon queen family truckster and have the wife drive ahead. Stop her when the saw is at the top of the stairs. Like a piano, which requires retuning whenever it is moved, the saw may require some adjustments once you have it in it's new location. Do I still qualify for "two helpful contributions!"?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 08:02:59 AM »

Every year people end up with fires because they  plug in some fan or a pilot light kicks on  during the curing process . So know and understand what your doing .
 When a product say well ventilated , it means that .

Many years ago I spent a winter working at a place that sold floor coverings, Formica etc.
A contractor came in one day and told us of putting Formica on counter tops in a occupied dwelling. Was assured all pilots were out. Residents went off to work and he started on the counters. Naturally just as he got all the (flammable) glue spread all three counter tops burst into flame. :o
He got it put out but I assume be CHECKED all pilot lights personally after that.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

38_Cal

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
You mentioned mats to stand on at your bench.  What I use is the tread section of sprint car rear tires...no steel belts, lays very flat, good traction  ;D and better for my back than the concrete garage floor...and it was free from a friend who raced and would otherwise have to pay to dispose of tires that were no longer suitable for racing.  Got them in front of my workbench, also the lathe and mill.

David

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
One way to add weight to a bench is to build a plywood box as part of the understructure and fill it with dry sand. If you use screws to build the box you and open it and take out the sand when, at some future date, you need to move the bench.

As far as fastening a bench down, I'm with Jim on fastening it to a wall if possible. I put a 2X6 "klete" the full length of the bench on the wall by screwing it in to the studs then screw the bench to it. Not all that many holes to patch when you take it down.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
Thanks Gary,

I am thinking the wall is a good idea.. makes it easier to make a rack for chisels/gouges  and files etc as well.........   Sand Box is a good idea.  I cam even use sand bags in the box....You sure are full of good ideas!!   

Now I think I will let Cody's suggestion lie............
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming