Author Topic: Whittling/drilling new butt-stock  (Read 11449 times)

Offline JDK

Re: Whittling/drilling new butt-stock
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
Definitely don't use that 03-A3 stock if you find it!!! Have you seen what they are getting for those these days?!?!  I remember few years ago there were barrels of them everywhere and you could pick out a nice one for near nothing.  I recently picked up an '03 with a broken stock for a song thinking I could just replace it cheap.  Searching the internet and local gun shows gave me a rude awakening.  J.D.K.
J.D. Kerstetter

Fred_Dwyer

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 05:56:38 PM »
OK, I stopped looking for the A3 stock since I glued it up with TiteBond. I gently wedged it open; there's a round tenon on the receiver that fits into the butt. So, wedging the crack open so as to accept glue easily I found 2 other smaller cracks. I used a #50 drill to terminate the cracks, filled with glue and clamped with about 20 wraps of rubber-bands and some soft jaw spring clamps. Got good squeeze out along the cracks. Will have to let it cure for a few days since I'll need to now whittle up a new turn-screw that about 1 inch longer than anything I have.

Later that week...
Screwed back together, here's hopin' the rains let up for some live-fire testing this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:23:04 PM by Fred_Dwyer »

Fred_Dwyer

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:19 AM »
Quick update. Seems to be holding up. I didn't run any crazy 120 grain loads through it but held fine at 55gr. Was blowing the rust out and POI kept creeping a bit, it started to settle in then I broke my ramrod while turning to talk to some folks.