Author Topic: What kind of vice and support do you use in your longrifle shop?  (Read 4015 times)

Mattole

And I don't mean the Johnny Walker or Coors kind, either!  ;D

I am rebuilding my Lyman GPR and am quickly discovering that the shop vice I have (modified with padding to protect the wood) is not working for many of the angles that I need to have access to. What do you use for a vice and support in your shop? I desperately need to acquire or build one very soon..

Many thanks.

Kevin

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: What kind of vice and support do you use in your longrifle shop?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
Kevin, I use two different types, depending on what I'm doing.

Tis one is free standing on a grinder stand I modified.

Heres a full pic.  The bottom is a truck rim with 80# of concrete to weight it.  I have since bolted it solid to the floor in my shed.
The second is a stand, like this that I saw and built for myself.  I would recommend making it taller to save the back..

This type is good if you demonstrate, and also for cleaning.
Hope this helps

Bill
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:34:25 AM by Bill of the 45th »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

tuffy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
Here's a thread from an earlier post. Check out some of the work benches as well as the vises that are present. You should get some good ideas from it. I personally use an island bench with the two pana-vises mounted roughly 3 feet apart. A couple of the photos have been deleted but there are still quite a few over the two pages.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10308.0

CW

Offline cmac

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:24:07 AM »
I have a Harbor Freight 2 way swivel vice that has been great. Has a small built in anvil (flat). That sits bolted to my bench and the bench has an under mount vice mounted to it about a foot away from the top vice. The lower vice works to support the stock, barrel, etc. I just clamp a board in that.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:44 AM »
This is my set up.Fully adjustable supports on both side.The vice rotates and has metal jaws on one end and wood/leather on the other.

Mitch Yates

Offline Glenn

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:47 AM »
This is my set up.Fully adjustable supports on both side.The vice rotates and has metal jaws on one end and wood/leather on the other.

Mitch Yates

Nice setup Mitch.  I wish mine was a fraction of that.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Mattole

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »
Thanks for the photos of your preferred longrifle vices, gentlemen. Very useful and inspiring images.

Kevin