Author Topic: GOLDEN AGE PATCHBOX ?  (Read 3453 times)

Offline hortonstn

GOLDEN AGE PATCHBOX ?
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
i'm at the point where i have to decide if  and what kind of patch box to put on my golden age lancaster i'v installed one in my life
it was a brass patchbox it turned out ok. i really like the wooden sliding type  but really hate to screw this up i've got a copy of gunsmith of greenville county he gives very good instructions
i donot have a extra piece of curley maple for the lid that will match the stock.
should i try this or is it ok to leave the patchbox off?
any ideas, i really need some support here.....
thanks

Offline Tom Currie

Re: GOLDEN AGE PATCHBOX ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:06:26 AM »
If it's a PA longrifle I'd put a box on it. If you can't come close to matching the curl I'd put a plainer wood box on it.

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:15:16 AM »
If you have done a brass patchbox before I think you will not have too much trouble with the wooden one.  I think they are easier.  Peter's instructions will get you through it.  Just remember to get it really flat in the area under the lid.  Pay a lot of attention to the dimensions and try not to get it too big and clunky looking.
Gary Tucker

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »
Most Golden Age rifles had brass patch boxes.  It wouldn't be "wrong", or unheard of to have a wood patch box, just not all that common for the time period.

I also wouldn't get overly concerned with matching figure in the stock.  That's nice to do if you have the wood, but I feel that's a contemporary aspect of patch boxes.

I'd say go for a wood patch box if that's what you want.  They aren't that difficult, and you can get plenty of help here...

Ed
Ed Wenger

roamer

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
Good luck in whatever choice you make. IF you can keep us photo-progessive partnered would be greatly appreciated

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:04:57 PM »
I sometimes use a piece of wood, for a box lid, from the same stock blank the gun came from, but oftentimes I don't.  I just go to the scrap bin and pick out something I think will look decent when finished.

With regard to a wood box, keep in mind it's best to plan for it in shaping the stock.  That is, a flat is established and wood shaped to it rather than the stock shaped and then a flat created.  It can be done after the stock is shaped, but doesn't work out quite as well in my view.  Not sure how far along you are. 

Good luck,
Jim

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
thanks for the ideas, i'm doing a wooden patch box, first time for everything
paul