Author Topic: Other Associations  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Paddlefoot

Other Associations
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »
What other associations do our members belong to ? Which ones have the most instructional value for those that really want to learn to build a fine gun? CLA, FEGA, that sort of thing.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Ionian

Re: Other Associations
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:03 AM »
The most important one of all.....               NRA

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:27:44 AM »
Paddlefoot,
I belong to several great muzzleloading organizations. I like them all and get much information from them but at the risk of sounding partisan, I believe members of AmericanLongRifles.com have the best access to experienced builders as exists today.

Where else can a builder pose a question and have it answered within a couple of hours (sometimes minutes!) by experienced builders that go out of their way to make sure your problem is solved? I am just amazed at how helpful these guys are. Its like having an online copy of the old Brownell's "Gunsmith Kinks" but having it real time and specifically for the study and building of muzzleloading firearms.

Dennis

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:29:09 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:36:58 AM »
i agree with dennis,the alr has the greatest amont of talent that is sooo easily accessable...but i have found out the way to improve and really get a good understanding of gun building,take some classes or work along side a accomplished builder.or attend a cla show...
the first class i showed up too that ian and jim were doing i brought alot of stuff i was working on.after a few classes my work improved .after i went to the cla show in august i came home with a whole new outlook on what a longrifle was supposed to be and that its all in the details.

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:17:56 AM »
I can highly recommend the classes that the NMLRA has at Bowling Green, KY the first week of June each year. I've attended 5 or 6 of the classes during the last eight years. They are excellent. It's like being an appretice for a week. Info on next years classes should be out toward the end of the year.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:21:46 AM »
I wouldn't begin to argue that this forum is the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to ready access to getting a question answered. Tremendous talent here that wasn't available when I put my first few guns together. Still I would really like to improve my engraving skills, both in design and execution. I can't look at the amazing work that some of you do and not be challenged and inspired to push myself more.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline dave gross

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:11:01 AM »
The ALR site is the best resource we have...bar none.  I once asked a question about the obscure maker of an Ohio rifle I worked on and had an answer here in less that 20 minutes.

Dave Gross

don getz

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
I'll admit that a lot of things can be solved on this forum, but, it doesn't take the place of hands on help, such as you would get at Western Kentucky, Conner Prairie, or even what Ian and Jim do a Log Cabin every month.......Don

Offline Ezra

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
I have to agree with Mr. Getz.  I just got back from Conner Prairie kit assembly class with Jim Chambers and Mike Brooks.  Great learning experience.  Great.   ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"