Author Topic: false striping  (Read 3604 times)

Red Owl

false striping
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »
Have any of you done any false striping on a stock- similar to what Leman did?  I have some scrap maple so I can test things on it however to save a lot of wasted experiements any help appreciated.
   It seems to me the entire stock is dyed a honey color and then the stripes are put on.  It seems to me that one worry would be the stripes spreading out too far or bleeding beyond what was desired.  To prevent this what I am thinking is to dye the entire stock a honey color and maybe put on a very thin coat of sealer or linseed oil to help prevent the dye for the stripes spreading out and seeping into the surrounding wood.
   I also read that a paint brush cut short and then notched was used to paint the stripes.
   In any event- all help appreciated.

Offline Kermit

Re: false striping
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:03:52 AM »
I'd think about trying shellac after the stain and before the striping.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
The most authentic method I've seen is described here:
http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/theclassroom.htm  -- scroll down to "How to Stripe a Leman Stock"

LehighBrad

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
Wow...that last reply is almost the exact same way I artificially stripped my .40 cal. long rifle I built years ago!! It was my first build from collected parts I ever did. I had ordered just a very plain maple stock blank due to the fact that I was sure I was going to really mess it up during my first scatch build attempt! Anyhow...turns out the rifle ended up coming out rather nice for my first attempt...or so I was told by people who've seen it. Well, as I was in the finishing stages of completion I realized.."dang, I wish I would've just went and got me that super primium curly maple stock blank that I really wanted in the first place". So I figured what the heck...I'm gonna give it faux curly maple stripes. I did it by rubbing ONE coat of Tru-Oil on the stock with my fingers after the main stain was applied. In this case it was a nut brown stain. Then with various sizes of small model brushes and a bottle of Feibings medium brown leather dye I went to town hand painting the stripes in different widths and randomness from the butt to the nose cap. ( Took me two nights) After the dyed stripes were good and dry, I just gave the stock several more coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil. To this day if you look at the stock from a few feet away....It can fool ya, and has fooled a few people.  ;D

Offline whitebear

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »
Wow...that last reply is almost the exact same way I artificially stripped my .40 cal. long rifle I built years ago!! It was my first build from collected parts I ever did. I had ordered just a very plain maple stock blank due to the fact that I was sure I was going to really mess it up during my first scatch build attempt! Anyhow...turns out the rifle ended up coming out rather nice for my first attempt...or so I was told by people who've seen it. Well, as I was in the finishing stages of completion I realized.."dang, I wish I would've just went and got me that super primium curly maple stock blank that I really wanted in the first place". So I figured what the heck...I'm gonna give it faux curly maple stripes. I did it by rubbing ONE coat of Tru-Oil on the stock with my fingers after the main stain was applied. In this case it was a nut brown stain. Then with various sizes of small model brushes and a bottle of Feibings medium brown leather dye I went to town hand painting the stripes in different widths and randomness from the butt to the nose cap. ( Took me two nights) After the dyed stripes were good and dry, I just gave the stock several more coats of hand rubbed Tru-Oil. To this day if you look at the stock from a few feet away....It can fool ya, and has fooled a few people.  ;D

How about some pictures?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »
Stripping depends on the school. It's all fairly late period. In Lancaster the stock was stained in the usual manner and the stripping applied usually with colorfast ink. Then finished. The Brooks method using dark brown Feibings that accounts for the sllghtest  faiding that WOULD TAKE PLACE. There was some bleeding, a fuzzy look (Leman, Dreppard ect,)   East of Reading, the stock was first sealed, then the stripes were applied giving a sharp border to the stripes. Artificial looking but that was not the intention, which was decoration and striking.
Jack Brooks has it totally right in method for a Leman in my opimion. I have owned a few and his are dead on.