Author Topic: Early 19th Century Appalachian Lock Panel shape??  (Read 12400 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Early 19th Century Appalachian Lock Panel shape??
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
You already know this; but that flint plate is 'buried' in the panel whereas she should stand proud with the top bevel showing.  Did I say you already know this? ;D

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
Yeah Roger.. I haven't taken the panel down to final thickness yet... but hey, at my age I never begrudge a reminder ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline RobertS

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
Don't know if this is helpful, but I have always been intrigued by Mel Hankla's Bill Burtt fowler:  http://www.americanhistoricservices.com/html/burtt_fowler.html

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
A GA rifle of the same time period

A VA gun with the same lock...... I like the way this looks with the lock

Dennis' gun with the same lock

My still unshaped lock panel between two beautiful Mtn guns

IN looking at several GA guns today I saw a wide variety..... so  You will just have to check back to see what I chose when next I post an update and seek more advice..... Of course there is still the issue of my ability to make what I see....but .. I will do my best   ;)

Thanks for all of the help.. and Guy your descriptions of characteristics were very helpful when looking at the guns today. Helped me see things I would have missed.

This is fun!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:02:54 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline RobertS

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
You are well on your way, and I look forward to seeing the results.  It inspires folks like me to give it a try!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
Tim,
I like the shounds of the project.  Pretty cool.  Just my 2 cents but I think the lock panels on the VA gun pictured below would be most appropriate for your project.  Kind of an inbetween panel.  Not real sharp but not following the exact conture of the lock either. 
SUggestion: Even though large lock panels are present on lots of appalachia style guns the thinner lock panels lines are always more pleasing to the eye.  As has already been stated..... for the time period you mentioned I think I would go with 2 lock bolts or at least a false one for the front if there is a interference problem. 

Failure only comes when you stop trying.