Author Topic: need a 3/4 forged barrel.  (Read 5177 times)

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
need a 3/4 forged barrel.
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
Does anyone know of anyone who has, or can make a 3/4" 36 cal X 46" long forged looking barrel? Or does anyone know how to acid etch steel to make it look hand forged? I 'd like some information on this etching process.

Curly

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: need a 3/4 forged barrel.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:03:43 AM »
Curly, First off welcome to the forum.  A good forged barrel looks like most any well made machined barrel by the named makers, and to get a 3/4" by 46" in 36 cal. forged if anyone would even do it, would run at least a grand or more.  I'm guessing what you are looking for is an aged browned appearance, and there are many discussions on the board about that.  Just getting any kind of barrel with those spec's puts it in the custom range, and my first thought would be Ed Rayle.  I couldn't find his number, but it's the only way to get him, as he doesn't do internet.  Someone on the board may chime in with it.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:04:22 AM by Bill of the 45th »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »
Thanks Bill, I was looking for the effect of pitted, almost crude looking barrel similar to the House Bros. guns. I know they acid etch knives to get that effect, so I'll look further into this forum. Thanks for the welcom Bill, well appriciated.
Curly

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:19 AM »
curley: If you would do another post, and state just what you are looking for in a wrought iron barrel look, I think some folks might be able to help you. Hammer marks and rust for starters. Most barrels were draw filed on the top 5 flat,with a few hammer marks left. The bottom 3 flats were usually left as is, with just a small amount of draw filing.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:56 AM »
   A good smith is not going to leave visible hammer marks. Especially on a gun barrel. Once installed in the stock, no one should be able to tell one way or another as to how it was made.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 03:04:32 AM »
I got Mr. Rayles phone # from Blackpowder Barbie a couple of years ago, and no I no longer have it but she probably does.  She's a member on here so contact her.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:26:04 AM »
Troy Roope at Stonewall Creek Outfitters typically has some 3/4 Rayl barrels.
Here is a link to his site that shows them:

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/barrels-2/rayle-rifle-barrels/

Larry Luck

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »
Folks have etched barrels to look like damascus steel. I don't see why you couldn't etch fake longitudinal 'wrought iron' streaks in the steel.

There is a company 'Cronite' that sells acids and resists for etching steel.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 05:27:57 AM »
As Larry said Troy stocks Ed's Barrels in 3/4", , and I have bought a few, but 46" will be custom,  Troy probably has his number and would help, as well as have components you would need for a build.  Get the barrel, then we can help giving you the distress you want.  It's easily achieved with household chemistry, and a little trial and error.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:54 AM »
 Ed's number, 304-364-8269. He will tell you for sure but last we talked about a custom I think he told me it would be about a year wait, IMHO they are well worth the wait.

Tim C.

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:18 AM »
If you want the pitted look bleach it. You can either cold blue the steel and submerse in cold bleach or boil the part in bleach. This can be a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, and it takes about 20 minutes with either method. Parts will come out lookin like they have sat at the bottom of the ocean for years but a rag followed with a wire wheel cleans em right up. PLUG AND WAX BARREL ON THE INSIDE! Hershel House demonstrates the boil method in his video

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, you've given me allot of great info to follow up on.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
Polish and make real pretty...then tie onto it real good and drag behind manure spreader for one hour. This will make it look like an old barrel.Yikes you guys,BLEACH? not on my guns you won't. Mine age perfectly on their own.
  Sorry curly. I presume you've figured I'm one of those guys who like to start with a new gun and preserve it as long as possible. Yes I am. Mine seem to patina on there own fast enough what with loading in my truck,unloading...ding!..@###*%#**) putting it back in clink! Shieza!! Not purposely, but dings happen. Just rust brown it for an "old" look.I like rust "blue" personally.Good advice about Rayle. Harder steel then most. He makes great fowler barrels too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 08:27:51 PM by CanvasBack »