Author Topic: Paris Barrel  (Read 5973 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Paris Barrel
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
I have a 7/8" to 3/4" straight tapered barrel that is marked R. Paris & son Gettysburg, PA. I need a breech plug for this barrel but I am not sure what the thread is. It looks pretty course compared to most of the breech plugs I have used. I don't have a thread gage, probably need to pick one of those up. The measurement from high point of thread to high point of thread is 1/2".
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline okieboy

Re: Paris Barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
 Bama, since imperial threads are designated by male thread OD (outside diameter), if the female thread ID (inside diameter) measures 1/2". then the outside of the male thread must of course be larger. The next standard thread from 1/2" is 5/8". As to the pitch, the gage set you would use is called a pitch gage set. However I know that it is difficult to check internal threads with a pitch gage. In my work I have determined the size of bunches of unknown internal threads, and there is a way to do it better and with no extra expense. You take a small piece of paper (a small piece of soft pine works too) and rub it against the inside threads. this will leave a series of lines representing the threads. You could measure the distance between two lines, divide it into 1" and get the pitch, but it is more accurate to draw a line acroo the thread lines and measure several threads and divide to get a pitch length. Just remember when you divide that it is by the number of spacesthat you count, not lines.
 The pitch length of an 18 TPI thread as 5/8-18 is the likely culprit is 1"/18=.0555".
 Hope I explained clear enough and that this helps.
Okieboy

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:28:53 PM »
My bet is Tip Curtis would be able to send you the breech plug with out even measuring...... Last time I was there he had several Paris barrels and breech plugs in inventory....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Thanks Dr. Tim
I should have thought about Tip. I know that Paris barrels had not been made in a while and I was in hope that someone would know the size of the breech plug. I will give Tip a call.
Jim Parker

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 11:55:02 PM »
Well Don Getz would surely know I bet.....
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »
 It is possibly 9/16 - 12 thread. I think I remmember in an earlier post Don Getz mentioned that Paris barrels and their early barrels were threaded with coarse thread, 9/16-12 would be the national coarse standard for a 9/16 bolt. You can probably pick up a 9/16-12 bolt at your local hardware or at Fastenal, if you have one, just to check the threads to be sure.
 Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:45 AM »
Tim, you knew I would chime in here.   If it's an early paris barrel (pre 1977 when we bought the business), they used
standard coarse threads........5/8 x 11, or 3/4 x 10.   If the threads appear to be the coarse variety, my bet would be that
it has a 5/ x 11 thread.   I am basing that on the size of the barrel itself, and is probably a 45 or 50 cal.    A plug to fit it
would have to be chased on a lathe.    The Paris barrels that Tip Curtis has are from the second go-round of Paris, starting in about 1982, and later sold to Colerain.   I think those barrels probably use the standard fine threads of
5/8 x 18, or 3/4 x 16.    Jim, just because I'm a nice guy, if you send the barrel to me and pay the return shipping I'll
make and fit a new plug to your barrel.....no charge.    Heck, I don't need the money, the Government's keeping me.......
Don

Offline rudyc

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:26:33 AM »
Very generous offer Don!!! Some pretty swell folks on this forum.

rudyc
"It's a good day for something"

omark

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
yeah don, the governments keeping me broke too.    sorry, devil made me do it.     ::)    mark

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Don. the government is not keeping you. You earned and paid into it from your first job to your last. That what you paid is now a hatfull of IOU's is no fault of yours but those that have robbed it.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
Thanks Don
I think I will take you up on your offer. It is a great looking barrel that I am using in a restoration project. It fits in the original barrel channel like a glove.
I will PM you for the address.
Thanks Jim Parker
Jim Parker