Author Topic: ID a flintlock, please.  (Read 3912 times)

Offline rickw

ID a flintlock, please.
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
I recently bought this flint lock off ebay. I wanted a flint lock for a trade gun project I have in mind.
When I got the lock, it was much smaller than I expected. The lock plate measures about 4-3/4" long by 15/16" wide. It is unmarked.The screws are metric threads.
Here are some photos:

Does anyone know what this lock might have been used on? Also, any other info would be helpful as well.
Thanks,
Rick W

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: ID a flintlock, please.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:28:26 AM »
  It looks like one of the Belgian locks that Turner Kirkland imported back in the 1950s and '60s. He brought them in by the barrelful.
            Dan                                 

Offline whitebear

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
Makes me think of a lock for the 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle.  If you decide not to keep it let me know.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:12:31 AM by whitebear »
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline kutter

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
Is that a mfg'r/maker mark or name stamped into the back of the plate, partially obscurred by the mainspring at the bend.

Neat looking lock, surprised Ebay wasn't offended by it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:35:32 PM by kutter »

Offline rickw

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:02:26 AM »
Is that a mfg'r/maker mark or name stamped into the back of the plate, partially obscurred by the mainspring at the bend.

Neat looking lock, surprised Ebay wasn't offended by it.

Good eye! I missed that.
It's a number-93. There are no other letters or numbers that I could see anywhere on the lock.
Thanks to all for the info.
Rick W

Offline Dale Campbell

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »
Possibly the Harper's Ferry pistol lock from Dixie.  I think they are/were a little smaller than the rifle lock.  I used one on my first rifle because it was the only thing I could afford. It might need some help to work reliably....
Best regards,
Dale

Offline rickw

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:24:22 AM »
Possibly the Harper's Ferry pistol lock from Dixie.  I think they are/were a little smaller than the rifle lock.  I used one on my first rifle because it was the only thing I could afford. It might need some help to work reliably....

I think it might be. I compared it with the full-size photo in the Track of the Wolf catalog, and my lock is about 1/2" shorter and slightly narrower.
Thanks again to all who responded.
Rick