Author Topic: Any suggestions as to who made this rifle or where it was made?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Mike T

This rifle descended in the family of a friend who says that family members lived in Mississippi, Georgia and South Carolina.  The rifle is 32 cal. There is a G on the drum and on the patch box lid.  The trigger guard is unique and the inlays and nicely engraved.  Any suggestions or information will be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike Torrente[/img]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:10:48 PM by Mike T »
Mike T

Offline whitebear

Re: Any suggestions as to who made this rifle or where it was made?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum, that is a very interesting rifle.  With my limited knowledge it could have been made anywhere so I am no help to you, sorry.  Oh and by the way
the G is on the patchbox and drum not the tumbler, the tumbler is inside the lock.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Mike T

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks whitebear,  Senior monent!
Mike T

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
It is indeed an interesting rifle.  In some ways it looks upper midwestern, perhaps Ohio Valley, but could have been made nearly anywhere. It was made during a period, probably 1840's - 1860's, when a lot of gunsmiths were on the move.  Many were moving west, but others were simply looking for a place where the "grass was greener". The forend is exceptionally long, almost a "three-quarter stock", rather than a halfstock.  It's hard to tell from the photos, whether it might have started life as a fullstock. and had been cut down at a later date.

Offline Mike T

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »
Thanks for your input Curt.  I agree with the dates you suggested.  You're correct in saying that the barrel was probably cut.  There are definite signs of that.  The under rib close to the nose piece shows signs of a missing forward ramrod pipe.  The spacing of the pipes seems as if the barrel was shortened at the breech.  There are no signs of cuts on the bottom flat of the barrel for prior under lugs.  The barrel at the breech shows a faint ghost of part of a signature, perhaps an "H".  I think the barrel was cut at least once perhaps more than once.  It may have been an older barrel reused or as you said originally, a full stock if the under lugs were brazed onto the barrel rather than dovetailed.  However, it remained a 32 cal. barrel.   I think  the trigger guard and engraving are unique and interesting.  Thanks again for commenting.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:21:21 PM by Mike T »
Mike T

cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
Reminds me of an Indiana made rifle I used to own.

Chris

Offline Mike T

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
Chris,   Was it signed or how did you know it was made in Indiana?  Were the trigger guard and/or  inlays similar in any way?  Thanks, Mike T
Mike T

Offline Mike T

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:44:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.  Mike T.
Mike T

Offline halfstock

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »
Looks a lot like a lehman to me. ??? ???