Author Topic: horn or ebony ramrod tips  (Read 5176 times)

magyar

horn or ebony ramrod tips
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:28:47 AM »
In the past I have seen some ramrods with both ebony and bone tips. Since I recently had a ramrod break i am thinking of making a new one with one of these tips. Any idea as to where i could find such a thing already made? I would also need pointers on how to attach it. I appreciate any insight.

Offline Dave B

Re: horn or ebony ramrod tips
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »
I have not seen any body selling blanks for horn or ebony ramrod tips. You will have to get a hold of some horn to do it your self. I just bought some water buffalo horn knife scales off of E bay http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-5-Polished-Buffalo-horn-knife-scales-B-1735-/160593826488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25642352b8
I plan on making ramrod tips out of one of them as well as a grip cap for a English rifle.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:10:43 AM »
Ebony would make a very fragile rod tip.  It won't take the abuse, but horn or antler will.  Make it the same as a brass one, except with thicker walls.  Use a good glue to attach it.  Obviously, it can't be used to attach accessories, but it's good for both ramming, and protecting both ends of the rod, if you don't want a brass or iron one on the small end.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:48:02 AM »
I have used horn, ebony, African blackwood, ivory and deer antler for ramrod tips and found nothing inferior with any of those meterials.   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
Another way is to splice it on. This is horn to hickory.

If you look close you can see a hair line crack in the horn where I whacked it pretty hard. It still functions as it should. Just a little antiquing on my part I guess.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
Horn makes a really nice tip.
But...
If the rod slides under recoil the high pressure gasses at the muzzle will eat it away.
I ran into this with the 16 bore rifle.
Rod would come out about 1.5" under recoil. Gasses were destroying the flared rod tip.
Put in a brass one (bronze actually) and have since installed a spring to retain the rod.
Should have done this when building the gun.
Not likely to be a factor in most rifles though.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
To Magyar or anyone else,

I have a lot of cow horn tips that would be enough material for a ramrod tip.  I also have some buffalo.  Scales might be better because you are working from a squared piece, but if you want to start from a tip piece let me know. 

Coryjoe

magyar

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
This is all great help. I appreciate it. I was hoping to find something pre-made since i kinda doubt my own carving skills but i need to start somewhere. I have about 20 racks of antlers that have been sitting in the garage waiting to be turned into knife handles and other stuff so i may as well try to use a tip for this project.

Still, if there are others with more experiences to add i would appreciate it.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
I did one with blackwood recently.  Haven't put it to use yet.  Ditto one with black Acraglas, which was bunches easier.  I left an eighth inch core of wood remain through the overlay in the thought that it might be better at standing up to the occasional banging that the rods sometimes get.

hoochiepapa

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
This one is buffalo horn with black accraglas. I tried to make a fancy carving and fill it with gas, but it didn't come out like I wanted. Attached it the same way you would a brass one. But without the pin.